Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruitment by Trade Tests 1916

Alan24

I've often wondered under what circumstances my GGF joined the war, with it being after the group scheme had ended and before married men were conscripted. In April 1916 he was married but not attested, living in Leeds and had previous service with Hants RGA TF. When he did enlist on 4th April 1916 to the RGA he was on his way to the depot by the night of the 6th April and in France before the end of May, taking part in the Somme offensive.

This week I found the attached advertisement published in THE HAMPSHIRE CHRONICLE, 13 May 1916 (a Winchester & North Hampshire Newspaper).

The key points here are that married men not attested were eligible, one of the centres was in Leeds, RGA was one of the Corps and the recruit would be sent straight away to the depot.

It just might be the clue I've been looking for.

Alan.

Trade Tests.JPG

Unless he fell in to one of the excepted groups (serving soldier or discharged soldier etc) then he was automatically enrolled in to the army reserve under the Military Service Act of Jan 1916. Do you know when he got married and how old he was ?

http://www.1914-1918.net/msa1916.html

Falling under the Military Service Act wouldn't have stopped him volunteering to join up in the meantime but he'd have been called up anyway at some point under it.

Craig

Craig,

My understanding is the MSA of 2nd March 1916 covered single men under 41. It wasn't until May that married men under 41 were deemed to have enlisted. Therefore he was a volunteer at that point in April 1916 albeit he knew conscription was coming. He was married 1910.

Another relative, single man, whose record survives enlisted 21 Feb 1916 under the Derby scheme (when it reopened on 10 jan) but as his group had already been called he had one months notice upon attestation and mobilised to the depot on 21 March.

A man could still attest under the Derby scheme right up to midnight on 1st March.

"Will you march too or wait until March 2?"

Alan.