Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunnellers by W Grant Grieve and Bernard Newman.

Gunner R.A.

Hello,

just wondering if anyone has a copy of this book and would be kind enough to help me with the following.

I am trying to find out what the 171st Tunneling Company was doing between the 2/6/1916 and the 22/8/1916.

Also what the 250th Tunnelling Company was doing between the 22/8/1916 and the 5/9/1917.

I appreciate that the latter is a long period but i would only need an overview.

The reason for the above is that i have a man from my memorial who went to France with the KRRC but was quite quickly attached to the 171st and then transferred to the 250th where he remained for some time. He subsequently returned to the KRRC where he was KIA about a month later.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

kind regards,

Peter.

Peter,

The 171st Tunnelling Coy were in the vicinity of Hill 60, Ypres from their formation up to the 22 August 1916 at least; and the 250th Tunnelling Coy from November 1915 up to at least September 1917 were in the Wytchaete/Messines area.

I don't know how much detail you require.

Cheers,

Rob

19 minutes ago, robertb said:

Peter,

The 171st Tunnelling Coy were in the vicinity of Hill 60, Ypres from their formation up to the 22 August 1916 at least; and the 250th Tunnelling Coy from November 1915 up to at least September 1917 were in the Wytchaete/Messines area.

I don't know how much detail you require.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob that's excellent,

Basically what i need is what you have just given, but also if you now the names of any of the tunnels they were involved during these periods and if any of the latter were used in offensive operations such as Messines etc.

Any such information would be gratefully appreciated.

kind regards,

Pete.

P.S. The man i am researching, Herbert Robinson was from the KRRC as mentioned in the OP, but i very much doubt that he will be mentioned in either War Diary.

Is that the Bernard Newman who co-authored the poem 'The Road to La Bassee'?

Bernard

Pete,

There is a PhD "The South Wales Miners' Contribution to the Tunnelling Companies on the Western Front during the Great War" by Ritchie Wood (Swansea University 2012).   A book has just been published by Helion Press based on the thesis. Available from Amazon.

Have you looked at Ian Passingham's book "Pillars of Fire", Peter Barton, Peter Doyle and Johan Vandewalle's Book "Beneath Flanders Fields"?  These are good starting points.  I can point you in the direction of further research references, on the TCs, if you want?

Rob

Hello Rob,

all sorted now mate, thanks for all your help and advice it's appreciated,

regards,

Pete.