Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paddy Jackson

I am trying to find out more aboat the rest camps at Le Havre in 1914 which were used by the BEF when they first arrived in France by ship. Particularly interested in location of No 8 Rest Camp which was used by the 1st Bn Cheshire Regiment in August 1914. Apparently it was about 6 miles from the dock and up a steep hill. Any ideas about the location and or photos would be much appreciated

Phil

That's amazing! Do you have full image or slightly wider area so that I can locate it.  Trying to see the names and place them on Google Earth.

Quite big file to download but I will if I have to. If it is where I think it is as the crow flies its about 3.5 miles from the port but could easily be a march of about 5-6miles.

Paddy

Is there a similar commandant's diary for the depots at Boulogne ? I couldn't see one.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

4 minutes ago, Phil Evans said:

I can't either Craig. Everything else bar the Commandant's diary.

Phil

Thanks Phil - always the one that's wanted...

Craig

Phil

I have just started another topic about the train journey from Le Havre to Le Cateau.  Do you have anything on this! You quick response has spurred me into action.

Phil,

I don't want to hijack Paddy's thread but I'm wondering if the commandants' diaries for Boulogne and Le Havre listed the arrival of the transport ships and departure of the troops? The Rouen commandant did so but I know the types of information kept varied from one diary to the next; it all seemed to hinge on what the writer considered important rather than what the instructions for the war diary required.

Paddy,
I have information on a number of battalions that might be of use to you as virtually every diary listed their route to the marshalling areas and their billets on arrival, if you want, send me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

Dave

28 minutes ago, lostinspace said:

Phil,

I don't want to hijack Paddy's thread but I'm wondering if the commandants' diaries for Boulogne and Le Havre listed the arrival of the transport ships and departure of the troops? The Rouen commandant did so but I know the types of information kept varied from one diary to the next; it all seemed to hinge on what the writer considered important rather than what the instructions for the war diary required.

Paddy,
I have information on a number of battalions that might be of use to you as virtually every diary listed their route to the marshalling areas and their billets on arrival, if you want, send me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

Dave

The le havre commandant's diary does list transport ships but it's often difficult to tell which men arrived on as they're given in the column beside the arrivals  but not always clearly linked.

Craig

Dave,

Neither Craig nor myself can find a Commandant diary for Boulogne.

Havre is variable, not forgetting that it was evacuated in early September and returned later in the month. The August diary is mainly about the setting up of the base and is where the maps came from. The latter part of the September diary is about the re-establishment.

The October diary has arrival and departure tables, but they do not identify units in detail until about the last week. November and December continue in the same vein. Reinforcements are identified as just that throughout.

I only have part 1 and it finishes at the end of December 1914.

And Craig has just pipped me at the post.

Phil

11 minutes ago, Phil Evans said:

Dave,

Neither Craig nor myself can find a Commandant diary for Boulogne.

Havre is variable, not forgetting that it was evacuated in early September and returned later in the month. The August diary is mainly about the setting up of the base and is where the maps came from. The latter part of the September diary is about the re-establishment.

The October diary has arrival and departure tables, but they do not identify units in detail until about the last week. November and December continue in the same vein. Reinforcements are identified as just that throughout.

I only have part 1 and it finishes at the end of December 1914.

And Craig has just pipped me at the post.

Phil

The le havre one I have covers April 15 ( and a bit either side but not with it to check)

The Boulogne one would have answered some queries I had read 6th dli and their strength on landing ( the battalion diary is missing before May 15). I've come across different figures and wanted to cross check against my recreated nominal roll.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Phil and Craig,

Thanks for the replies. I've been working on the movement of shipping and troops to the three French ports for a number of years now (the first six divisions, army troops etc.), so I'm only looking for August, 1914 information. One hang up is the fact that the war diaries rarely have full information on embarkation dates, sailing dates, name of ship(s), and time of arrival or disembarkation, sometimes even the port name is blanked out, Infantry battalions or their brigade headquarters usually have most of this info but artillery, engineers etc. rarely do. The Rouen  commandant's war diary helps a lot in pinning down which ship arrived when, even though it doesn't give which unit arrived on which ship. I guess I'm lucky in a way because not too many units arrived on the continent through Boulogne.

Dave

2 hours ago, lostinspace said:

Phil,

Paddy,

Dave

Dave re your comment to Phil I have downloaded the WO file that Phil attached as a link at the top of this thread and as well as the maps etc I noticed that there are many pages that list the comings and goings of ships as well as the regiments/supplies and all manner of other personel. Its well worth the £3.45. I'll pm you anyway would be interested in any more you can add or enlighten re No 8 rest camp in particular.

Paddy

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

I saw the Le Havre file WO95/4030 today. Your Aug 1914 needs are not met there as there is a paucity of shipping info that early in the proceedings. Better info began appearing after a few months, but that won't suit your needs !

I have some pages for your interest anyway, if only of an educational nature !

sotonmate,

I thank you very much for the effort though. As I said in a previous post, you are indeed, a scholar and a gentleman!

Thanks again,

Dave

If anyone can find the Boulogne one let me know ! . The Havre one did help me with some queries though.

Craig

Phil

Your map posts have resolved an issue regarding my Grandfathers return to France in 1918. I had misread his diary as being routed through Honfleur to Rouen where in fact it was Harfleur and probably one of the rest camps you identify.

A side issue but many thanks.

Bob

• 1 year later...

Good morning, My grandfather served with the HAC and arrived at Boulogne on 4th July 1917, he then arrived at no 8 depot Le Havre on 8th July, presumably having marched there.He then left Le Havre on 31st July, in the field on 1st August. I have followed this thread with great interest as it gives such detail as to where no 8 camp was. Last year we traced my Grandfathers steps in France and Belgium but didn't get to Le Havre, we are going that way next week and would like to visit- is there any way of identifying where the camp was as I'm struggling to match Google maps with the old map, many thanks, 

2 hours ago, Lizzywhitt said:

I'm struggling to match Google maps with the old map,

Someone more expert wil doubtless come along but it seems to me it is about where the Gendarmerie Mobile is. The D231,  D981 and the railway junction all appear in map in post 2

5ab39cdc5e144_RestCamp8Harfleur.JPG.c2f0f26be341fb800f858e9db2e76e44.JPG

Hi

Charlie looks to be spot on though the old map shows two areas so also probably where the Pre Fleuri Presse is shown and the area to the south towards the escarpment. The area looks like a level plateau.  Good luck with your search.  Please come back with anything you find out.

Paddy

Thank you gentlemen, I have also found this photo (from the Long long Trail) which would seem to fit with the geography of the area you have indicated

BRITISH ARMY BASE CAMPS BEHIND THE WESTERN FRONT 1914 – 1918 (HU 99051) Part of the British Army camp at Harfleur in March 1916. Copyright: © IWM. Original Source: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205218857

This whole thread has been so interesting and informative, on my Grandfathers papers it show that he should have sailed from Southampton to Le Havre but this was crossed out and as mentioned he sailed from Folkstone to Boulogne , as the regimental war diaries only cover the action at the front, there doesn't seem to be any record of his journey from Boulogne to Le Havre or his time at Le Havre ; however I have a book "Over the Top" A" PBI" in the HAC by Arthur Lambert which gives a good description both of  camp 8 and what life was like

"There were thousands of tents pitched on the steep side of a large hill and stretching line upon line for over a mile. On one side a precipitous wooded slope, on the other fields with brooks and villas dotted here and there"

HU99051.jpg

Edited by Lizzywhitt

Great effort Phil,

Just shows how much has changed. An OS map or on site visit might help too as almost certainly the camps were located on flat land and No 8 appears to be close to the escarpment.

Paddy