Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Courts martial in 1918 of J Wall 1714 LNLR and RE 1918

barrowford29

Hello. My grandfather hit his superior officer while drunk on 7-12-17.

He had a courts martial trial at Bordon and was awarded 84 days detention on 22-12-17

I've just got ancestry and it is listed on there but says it is on a fold3 database.

Any idea how I could see what I presume is a copy of an original document?

Thanks.

Fold3 appears to be an apsirational agglomerator of publicly located information- which is not likely to have anything you want. Bit like Pinterest. Or Zoominfo for commerical information

What sources have you looked at so far?  Looks like he was lucky -not overseas and just before Christmas.

(Dont worry-My grandfather smacked an officer while in a bar in Singapore in 1914-went on the run but turned himself in when war began-His record is stamped "Desrter. Surrendered Under the Amnesty")

Cheers for the info. I've just been looking on ancestry for the last hour or so. He was a bit naughty to say the least and yes he was lucky he wasn't overseas....

I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

A relative of mine in the US Army sent home stolen clothes & the family wore them into totwn & when asked where they got them they told how they recd them. My relative got a choice of court martial or going to France. He took France & came home wounded. Story been source of humor in the family for this last 100 Yrs..

Hi,

I'm not sure if they 100% mirror each other, but FMP also have some papers relating to John - see here. Sometimes FMP carry more papers than Ancestry. I haven't gone through the record set of the second hit shown, but  the first hit shows papers relating to his WW1 service. However, the last page is a document relating to a John Joseph Wall, born 30th April 1895, (re?) enlisting into the army (for 4 years) on 23rd June 1925 under the service number of 3851344. Presuming that records haven't got mixed up, and it's the same person, then from the index of men, born pre 1901, that the MoD still hold service records for, this would seem to be him:

Wall.jpg

If you were inclined, you could get a copy of that record (£30) from the MoD - some advice on how to apply is here. I guess that it would contain very little relating to his WW1 service, and given that it would probably be heavily weeded, might not tell you much at all about any post war service.

Regards

Chris

14 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Fold3 appears to be an apsirational agglomerator of publicly located information- which is not likely to have anything you want. Bit like Pinterest. Or Zoominfo for commerical information

Fold3 is a sister site to ancestry with numerous records, they have 'UK, Military Deserters, 1812-1927' which won't have anything for striking a superior officer.

In their words; Fold3 is the web's premier collection of original military documents, with hundreds of millions of records about the men and women who served. 

Barrowford29, can you ID which series on fold3 you found an entry for your Grandfather?

TNA have a series of Courts Martial registers which give basic information for each case. WO213/17 & WO213/18 would appear to be the best bets for that date but they're not available online, visit only.

But, as you know the charge, dates and outcome I'm not sure what else you'd find there.

TEW