Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Official histories - Military Operations: Italy, 1915-1919

amars8

May somebody help me in finding a pdf or ebook version of:

Military Operations: Italy, 1915-1919, Brigadier-General Sir James E. Edmonds and H.R. Davies, 1949

?

Thank you in advance,

Alberto

Not listed on www.archive.org, which has many scanned treasures. Cheapest copy on Internet is a hardback reprint at £38, inclusive of postage from the US to UK- see www.bookfinder.com

I'm not aware of any scanned sources. There is a reprint by the Naval and Military Press, priced at £35 but as at present they frequently run promotions with a 20% discount on price.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

There is a file on the Hathi Trust Digital Library, although to access it you would need to belong to a participating institution, which appear to be Universities in the USA

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000400616

As it was published by H M Stationery Office in 1949, my understanding is that it is now out of copyright, as copyright lasts for 50 years for HMSO  publications.  Perhaps someone can confirm? I once wrote to Hathi Trust on this matter in respect of another book but never received a reply. However, the Hathi Trust Digital Library has this publication classified as "protected by copyright law". Is it possible to be out of copyright in the originating country UK, but subject to copyright in the USA? If it is out of copyright I cannot see why it is not available as  "full view".

Cheers

Maureen

On 12/1/2017 at 05:21, Maureene said:

There is a file on the Hathi Trust Digital Library, although to access it you would need to belong to a participating institution, which appear to be Universities in the USA

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000400616

As it was published by H M Stationery Office in 1949, my understanding is that it is now out of copyright, as copyright lasts for 50 years for HMSO  publications.  Perhaps someone can confirm? I once wrote to Hathi Trust on this matter in respect of another book but never received a reply. However, the Hathi Trust Digital Library has this publication classified as "protected by copyright law". Is it possible to be out of copyright in the originating country UK, but subject to copyright in the USA? If it is out of copyright I cannot see why it is not available as  "full view".

Cheers

Maureen

Yesterday I wrote an e-mail to the Hathi Trust Digital Library helpdesk and they answered me very quickly in this way:

"Thank you for your query. This book was published in the United Kingdom. The copyright is still active for this year for items published in the UK. It will not be eligible for manual copyright review by HathiTrust until 2020.

For more information on how automatic bibliographic rights are determined, please visit this page: https://www.hathitrust.org/bib_rights_determination

"

The problem of Crown Copyright is an old one, often overlooked with the much more liberal modern trend of many public sector sources for open licences,etc. In theory the normal Copyright rule is 70 years after death of author or 70 years after first publication if published posthumously. This used to be 50 years but was raised to 70 a few years ago to bring it into line with EC regimes (Query- unlikely to be affected by Brexit?)

However, technically the Crown never dies-  it is the monarch (the pro-tem holder of the Crown) that dies but the Crown does not. Thus, technically Crown Copyright is perpetual-as the Crown never dies,the 70 years never ticks down. In  practice, Crown Copyright is sensibly given out for permissions- the usual formula in most old-time books using Crown Copyright material is an acknowledgement by the author- usually a thanks to the Controller of HM Stationery Office ,who was the effective manager of Crown Copyright publications.

Naval and Military are successful publishers and will be well aware of copyright permissions and have the correct permissions for anything still in copyright. I have no commercial connection with them but the fact that they have produced a goodly range of good-quality reprints across the years is probably the best testimonial that would secure a favourable permission on Crown Copyright materials anyway

spof, thanks for posting. The links seem to confirm my previous understanding that copyright lasts for 50 years for HMSO publications.

Cheers

Maureen