Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Duddingston Golf Club War Memorial

SouthsideChaz

37 men! That's a huge amount from one golf club, very impressive. Duddingston must be a big club.

Beautiful memorial.

As long as the fairways aren't invaded by neds from Niddrie or the 'travelling people' at the site of the old Craigmillar railway station (if they're still there).......  

I'm very pleased to see that the Memorial has  been refurbished and re-hung in the clubhouse. When we found it in 2014 it was lying behind a cupboard and almost forgotten. Thanks to those who have done a great piece of work in having it restored.

There are some details of the personnel who "played the game." on the website    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Edinburgh - Other Memorials >Edinburgh, Duddingston Golf Club.

• 3 years later...

Great to see this memorial in it's rightful place in the clubhouse; it includes the name of Andrew Scott Wotherspoon, a former pupil of Perth Academy and for interest I've attached his biography from the school's memorial book.

On Monday I should be accompanying a group of S1 pupils on a school French Trip, which would have included a visit to Tyne Cot, where two former pupils are buried and eight (including Andrew) are commemorated on the memorial. Sadly not to be, but hopefully we'll make it sometime. Really special when the young people can remember our own.

Not too far from Fife to Edinburgh and when it's safe to do so I must go over to Duddingston and leave a wee something at their memorial.

Dave

Wotherspoon AS.jpg