Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where Is This?

Gareth Davies

The red 'X' shows the cross of Nicholson's observer, Midshipman Bernard Walter Davy.

IMG_1046.jpg.6ff0dfeb6bd3fc66ce7cd4f046d

Edited by temptage
correct photo

Again, many thanks.  

Seeing as you have done so well, here is an additional question.  The photograph has "Shirley" written on the back. Any ideas?

More than likely a relative of one of the sailors or photographer.

Possibly. But I think it might be the nickname of one of those buried there.

Can I just say that - yet again - the Forum comes up trumps. It really is a damned fine resource.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Can I just say that - yet again - the Forum comes up trumps. It really is a damned fine resource.

Hear hear.

• 2 years later...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11ANSfN6vNeW9Xjapx_-5DNS--YeqfroT/view?usp=drivesdk

My great uncle died on HMS Raglan on January 20th 1918 and is buried at Kusu, see the attach photo. As you can see, he was buried in plot D11 but war records indicate L17. I notice that in more recent photos of the cemetery, the crosses have been replaced with headstones which might account for the change which I think is an error. Any thoughts?

Edited by Guest
Typo

10 hours ago, Gerald Reid said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11ANSfN6vNeW9Xjapx_-5DNS--YeqfroT/view?usp=drivesdk

My great uncle died on HMS Raglan on January 20th 1918 and is buried at Kusu, see the attach photo. As you can see, he was buried in plot D11 but war records indicate L17. I notice that in more recent photos of the cemetery, the crosses have been replaced with headstones which might account for the change which I think is an error. Any thoughts?

All of the CWGC records show he is, and has always been, buried in plot L. 72. The D. 11 may have been a system of the order the bodies were buried, as you can see the 2 crosses behind on the next row back are D. 10 and D. 12. No plots were ever made with zigzag burials like that.

Edited by temptage