The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

27 okt 14: Prince Maurice von Battenberg killed

Guest Ivan Lietaert

Guest Ivan Lietaert

My uncle, Gabriel Delbeke, did research on the death of a British prince in Passchendaele. You can read his full text (in Dutch) if you follow the link below.

I translated the facts into English:

During the First Battle of Ypres on the 27th of October 1914, the first bataljon of the King's Royal Riflle Corps crossed from Zonnebeke to Broodseinde, to stop the German infantry on the Keiberg. Prinse Maurice Victor Donald van Battenberg was luitenant and commanding officer of the second division of the bataljon.

The enemy could see the troops come nearer, but they postponed the attack until they were really close to their position.As soon als the troops had crossed the stream the 'Heulebeek', the enemy opened fire from their position on the Keiberg with light weapons and small canons. There was no escape. The Prince was mortally wounded by scrapnell. The platoonsergeant tried to offer help to the wounded Prince, but to no avail. He died before his men could bring him to safer quarters. The Prinse died at the age of 23.

Lord Kichener suggested to bring the body of Prince Maurice to England, but his mother, Princess Beatrice of England, refused because she knew that her son would have wanted to be buried with his friends. He was buried on the municipal cemetary of Ypres. His tomb is located among civilian graves, right next to the entrance to the British Cemetary Extension.

Illustration: My uncle, Gabriel Delbeke, an Flemish historian, placed this cross on the exact place where the Prince was wounded to commemorate his death. The Loonsvijverstraat has now become a dirt-street and is no longer used.

TN_01sep02.JPGTN_01sep01.JPGRoyal Blood

A page in German about Prince Maurice

• 1 year later...