Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WO2 George Harry Timson (Royal Scots, Labour Corps, Black Watch & Gordon Highlanders)

Trotter1587

Evening all,

Researching my 3 x great uncle, C.S.M. George Harry Timson (B. Peckleton, Leicestershire 1872 - D. Scotland, 1943).

Military service 1889 - 1911 with the Royal Scots in Malta & India and then 1914 - 1919  with:

16/11/1914 - 6/3/1918 - 3rd, 14th, 2/8th Royal Scots [at home in the UK]

6/3/1918 - 17/6/1918 - "3" Indian Labour Corps [posted to France]

17/6/1918 - 15/8/1918 - 9th battalion, Black Watch [on leave in UK]

15/8/1918 - 27/8/1918 - 3rd battalion Black Watch [on leave in UK]

27/8/1918 - 1/9/1918 - 1/6th battalion Gordon Highlanders [Back in France - joins in the aftermath of Greenland Hill attack]

1/9/1918 - 20/1/1919 - 206 Prisoners of War company, Labour Corps [Demobbed 19/2/1919]

WW1 medal card no. 515883

Sadly I have no photos of him in my family :( 

Firstly, would anyone have any further knowledge of Timson's career in WW1? POW company info?

Secondly, any photos from the above units which members might have in their collections they think might be our man? Or point me in a possible further direction?

(I have seen all unit war diaries at TNA, Kew who sadly make no mention of him)

Trotter

• 11 months later...

POW companies were units formed to use German POWs as Manual Labour. Failing to find where this particular was. 

Thanks for your assistance, Mark! Despite a very detailed service record for Timson it's left me with more questions than answers at the minute :lol:

• 6 months later...

Hi,  My husband Ian Timson was adopted by George Timson's son Harry Timson in 1945  . I will try to post a picture of George for you.  Can you let me know how you are related to George please? i.e. through which of George's brothers/sisters?  We are researching the family history of all our forbears and have been for 30 odd years!

Kind regards Claire

• 6 months later...
On 14/06/2018 at 09:47, Claire Timson said:

Hi,  My husband Ian Timson was adopted by George Timson's son Harry Timson in 1945  . I will try to post a picture of George for you.  Can you let me know how you are related to George please? i.e. through which of George's brothers/sisters?  We are researching the family history of all our forbears and have been for 30 odd years!

Kind regards Claire

Hi Claire!

Thank you for getting in touch. This is quite the discovery to finally have a link to his family!

I will message you for more details.

Kind regards,