Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal Thompson or Potts, 1st Bn. Cheshire Regiment September 1918

laughton

This Lance Corporal is either:

1. John Thomas Thompson #25923
  2. Dexter Potts #14232

They are the only ones missing from August 10th to September 15th 1918 when they fell with many of their pals on 2nd and 4th September respectively. As they are both with the 1st Battalion I doubt there is any way to separate them, unless the other one appears elsewhere.

In the meantime, the families can at least share this headstone as it is one of their relatives for sure.

The remains are in Vaulx Hill British Cemetery in Plot 2 Row C Grave 17. Remains were found at 57c.I.15.c.8.1 on the northern boundary of Beugny which is 6,500 yards northeast of Bapaume.

I always thought it would be nice to have a REGISTRY where families could go if they were planning a battlefield tour to get an idea where their ancestors MIGHT BE if they were unknown. In MANY cases it is narrowed down to 2 or 3 candidates, with a good chance the others are in an unmarked grave in the same cemetery.

There are many ANZAC in this cemetery, for those that are researching those groups. I prepared and uploaded the files here for Vaulx Hill British Cemetery.

doc2543436.JPG

Edited by laughton
added COG-BR and GRRF ZIP file links

• 1 year later...

The problem you also have is that with Lance Corporal being only an appointment to a Private surviving records often don't record that a man has been acting as a Lance Corporal - you can't directly rule out any of the men missing for this period who are noted as a Private.

Craig

Thanks for that, I was not aware of that fact for the British.

The "Casualty Files" for our Canadians are even specific as to whether they were Lance Corporals or Acting Lance Corporals.

Always willing to learn!

2 minutes ago, laughton said:

Thanks for that, I was not aware of that fact for the British.

The "Casualty Files" for our Canadians are even specific as to whether they were Lance Corporals or Acting Lance Corporals.

Always willing to learn!

It can be hit and miss unfortunately, which doesn't make finding them any easier. Men are sometimes shown with acting ranks but there are certainly times where you will see one record showing the appointment whereas the other records the substantive rank - a subtle difference but a pain in the backside.

Craig