Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Victory Medal Returns

Guest Bobsbeer

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone may help me.  A few years ago I found a WW1 Victory medal in my fathers belongings when he died.  The medal is inscribed  GNR. G . G . MCMILLAN . R . I . M, and if possible I would like to return the medal to this persons family.   I am assuming that RIM means Royal Indian Marine.  A search online found a General Service Medal list for the RIMS Minto which listed a G G MacMillan, slightly different spelling, but possibly the same person.  On that list it gave his service as 1/4/1913 to 23/4/1914.  I'm guessing the dates are for when her served on the RIMS Minto rather than total service, but without any other info it's difficult to tell. 

I realise it may be a forlorn quest, but I'm sure the family would appreciate getting the medal back if they can be traced.  I live in Cumbria so direct access to the National Archives and British Library is somewhat out of reach.  If anyone can help guide me where to look and what information may be available online that would be much appreciated.  I have looked on Ancestry, but they don't have the medal rolls for RIM as far as I can see, and nothing shows up on CWCG to say he was killed.  The only reference I have found is the GSM list for the Minto.

Anyway if anyone has any ideas on where to look it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

George Gallie McMillan.

Seniority as Gunner 6/2/11.

Listed against Comet from 7/5/14 in the November 1915 Navy List.

Born Glasgow, Lanarkshire, 9/11/1888.

1891 Census gives his address as Thistle Street, Govan, Gorbals, Lanarkshire.

He joined the R.N. as a Boy 2nd class 9/3/06 [former occupation Farm Servant] & was discharged to shore at Bombay as a Gunner R.I.M. 6/2/11.

Edited by ARABIS

• 3 weeks later...

An acknowledgement would be nice.  :)

Don't you just love it, when you go to a bit of trouble to help someone and just like this, you never here from them again. Makes you feel like you wasted your time.