Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ack Ack

Brummie Nick

Not sure If I'm in the right topic, but can anyone tell me if the use of the term Ack Ack, for anti aircraft fire was used in ww1?. and if it was a reference to the phonetic alphabet of the time?

regards John

Yes it was in fact it originated in WW1.

Pre-WW1. (1880's(?) Army signalese- though "Ack-Ack" for anti-aircraft cannot date from before WW1 (for obvious reasons!!!! :D )

Dave.

"Archies" was another term used as slang for AA. Source John Glubb "Into Battle"

Roop

Is he the "Glubb Pasha" who went on to command the Arab Legion in Jordanian service?

Is he the "Glubb Pasha" who went on to command the Arab Legion in Jordanian service?

Yes Angie, as Terry has said, well worth getting hold of a copy for its simplicity and clarity. Of great interest if one is familiar with some areas he mentions.

Roop

The term 'Archibald, certainly not' was used when the 'archie' missed' in an ironic fashion - James Mccudden, VC, 'Flying Fury'.

Also used in gunner war diary.

Alan

With respect to the RFC's term 'Archie' for German anti-aircraft fire, there is a claim that the nickname was coined by [then] Lieutenant Amyas 'Biffy' Borton of No 5 Sqn in October or November 1914. See My Warrior Sons edited by Guy Slater:

'During a reconnaisance flight Biffy had made the relatively simple discovery that if he did a 45 degree turn every time he saw the flash of the anti-aircraft guns on the ground, the shells would always explode harmlessly to one side of him. On this particular occasion every time the trick worked successfully he and his observer broke into a chorus of a popular music-hall song of the day called Archibald - certainly not! The alliteration of Archibald the anti-aircraft gun proved irresistible, and the name stuck.'

It could be right - someone had to be the first to use the term.

Gareth

I was of the impression it was derived from the initials of the artillery units involved, I cannot at this moment think what the correct initials are but something like:

AARC

Roop

• 1 year later...

Today I was told a very interesting story about where the term "archie" originated. I was wondering if any forum members can confirm the accuracy of what I was told -

Apparently, Lt Col A.D Borton VC, CMG, DSO (aka "Bosky) had an older brother known as "Biffy" Borton. The story goes that Biffy Borton whilst on a air patrol over France started to sing a well known song when his aircraft was fired upon by German Anti-Aircraft fire. This song had the word "Archibald" in it and Biffy was in the habit of shouting out "Archibald" when a round burst nearby! More and more men started to do the same and the word "Archie" was born...

What an extra-ordinary story...true or not.

Neil

Just to add to this, Maurice Baring (RFC HQ) records Archie as deriving from No 5 Squadron referring to a particular AA gun that fired on them early in the war as "Archibald", from the music hall song "Archibald, certainly not."  Baring noted it in his diary in September 1914.

This connects to the earlier thread which also refers to 5 Squadron but this date is slightly earlier.

Patrick