Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Journey's End movie

Steven Broomfield

• Admin

Off to the cinema in Bath tomorrow night to watch the film 

As noted in the Rant thread, it's not on wide release. Catch it if you can, or wait for the DVD I suppose.

• Admin

I’m going to a cinema I’ve never heard of to watch it. It’s on at the multiplex at Cribbs Causeway but I’d rather jump on a train and have a trip to Bath to watch it 

Fingers crossed and hoping for it to arrive in more cinemas next week (as the movie promotion suggests). I notice it is already scheduled to come to a local cinema next week but not this. And so far no showings in Birmingham this week at all, surely it must hit at least one cinema in that area. 

Haven't been to the cinema in years (since my then teenaged son fainted in a small cinema due to overheating from excessive clothing and lack of drink!) but I really do want to see this on the big screen. 

Not coming to Neath. Harrumph! I'll have to check Swansea...

Bernard

Edited by Bernard_Lewis

Not on anywhere local to me as yet. The famous "Kinema in the Woods" in Woodhall Spa apparently has no plans to screen it.

On Radio Five Live's film review programme 2-4pm yesterday (2 February), Mark Kermode gave Journey's End an excellent review: he knows the original play, and thinks that the film is a good version of it, reflecting the long hours of discomfort, boredom and then moments of sheer terror. It was pointed out that as well as his novels and 17 plays, R.C. Sherriff wrote scripts to 15 films, including Goodbye Mr Chips, The Dam Busters, The Four Feathers and No Highway.

William

Can’t believe it’s showing in my local cinema (Harrogate) twice today.  We don’t usually get anything.  So torn about going :o

• Admin

I have to say I found it very powerful, tense and well acted 

I saw it tonight and I thought it excellent. It captured the claustrophobia of the original play and tension prior to combat very well it also broadened the depth of the original with some very evocative trench scenes. Paul Bettany was the star IMO. The period detail was excellent you could see the expert hand of Taff Gillingham throughout.

Highly recommended

Mark 

Just back from seeing it at Harbour Lights in Southampton: really, really good.

The only blot on the horizon was fact that I had to go to the Silver Screen showing at midday: on the bright side it had subtitles for the deaf old codgers, but the regualrity with which other audience members had to leave the room was unnerving. I suspect I also brought the average age in the cinems down by a few years.

The only quibble I have with the film is the dodgy set of statistics at the end: did 700,000 men really die in the Spring Offensive? Were all the German gains made really recaptured a month after the offensive ended? Did a million more men die in the  Advance to Victory?

The only disappointing thing about the film itself was that I could nothing with which to quibble. Bloody annoying.

Pips were not worn on the shoulder, save for the Guards! 

Really, didn’t the artistic or wardrobe director or even the GWF extras pick up on this? 

Grrr.......😡

Edited by 51st Sikhs

Pips were commonly worn on the shoulder later in the war in some regiments. The London Scottish are adamant that their officers didn't (and I've certainly never seen a photo to disprove it), but by 1918 pips on the shoulder were not uncommon. I suspect that's not the sort of error Taff Gillingham is likely to make. ;)

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The only quibble I have with the film is the dodgy set of statistics at the end:

Gosh! I know a chap who could have helped you with that. Unfortunately, he's just left the tent saying: "I may be some time".

That very thought crossed my mind. That's why I felt safe mentioning it.

Disappointed that it’s not been screened on my local cineworld yet.

Perhaps Dunkirk and Darkest Hour following so fast on its heels have persuaded the group to hold fire on more war films for a week.

Phil

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Pips were commonly worn on the shoulder later in the war in some regiments. The London Scottish are adamant that their officers didn't (and I've certainly never seen a photo to disprove it), but by 1918 pips on the shoulder were not uncommon. I suspect that's not the sort of error Taff Gillingham is likely to make. ;)

Also in some regiments earlier in the war, see Robert Graves 'Goodbye to All That' and his reception in the 2nd RWF after being attached to the Welsh Regiment in 1915.  Graves was wearing shoulder stars and a senior RWF officer accused him of wearing 'a wind-up jacket'.

I'd forgotten that, Mr Jones. And, of course, the 6 degrees of separation that brought Graves' association with 'The Surrey Man'.

Mr Andrade: as previously discussed, it's not on (and I suspect won't be on) at megaplexes. Art House movie theatres and silver screen showings only I reckon.

Not showing in my local cinema either. I wouldn't mind, but the cinema only opened last December after 40 years on being a bingo hall. Since then, there hasn't been a film I've wanted to see!

Enjoyed it very much. I thought it a slight shame it denied Stanhope his flash of gallows humour with the Sgt Major but otherwise I found it spot on. 

A bravura performance by Sam Claflin. He had to carry the film with the camera rarely more than a few inches from his face.

No matter how many times I read it, watch it or teach it, the play never palls

David

On 07/02/2018 at 15:55, Steven Broomfield said:

The only quibble I have with the film is the dodgy set of statistics at the end: did 700,000 men really die in the Spring Offensive?

Did a million more men die in the  Advance to Victory?

Usual conflating of casualties with killed : something that is persistent.

Rhetorical exaggeration.

And yet.....it surprises me to discover that between 21 March 1918 and the Armistice, not far short of a million men did actually die in France and Belgium.

The film exaggerates , but not by  that much.

Phil

On 2/7/2018 at 11:57, Steven Broomfield said:

Intersting. Thanks for that.