Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Cold Weather Kit?

skels

Hi,

I have attached a photo of group of soldiers wearing what appears to be cold weather kit. I have little knowledge but appears to me to be WW1 British Army? Any further information on the photo would be welcome. Reverse of photo is not available to me.

young soldiers small.jpg

Certainly British and wearing the goatskin jackets issued from late 1914/early 1915.

Thanks Squirrel.

I was trying to think of a war zone that would need issue of cold weather kit but assuming from your reply these were standard issue for men on Western Front?

The 6th Black Watch were issued with theirs on the 4th of November, 1915. I think they were 'binned' when it was discovered that when they got wet, they stank.

Mike

Edit 1.02 p.m., 17/12/2016 In the 6th Black Watch's case they were 'Sheepskin'

Edited by Skipman

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Always strikes me that they would have been a lot warmer worn inside out!

Some did wear them reversed, however GRO orders were issued (I have got this somewhere but can't find it at the moment) stating this was not to be done as in wet weather the 'flesh' side of the leather was damaged and became slimy. As Mike says they did stink according to contemporary accounts. Sometimes referred to as 'Bunnies' 'Woolly Bears' or 'Stinkers' and probably one or two other names!

Photo is of a sheepskin version courtesy of the IWM. They all followed much the same construction. Some sleeveless versions were also issued.

Regards

Tocemma

large_000000.jpg

Presumably such skins have been worn by men since they first wore anything. It`s surprising that they were deemed incapable of standing up to trench life!

Since it's not been mentioned - those men with visible badges in the OP all appear to be RAMC:

bi-ramcbadge.jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

Finally found the relevant General Routine Order!

'Care of Fur Waistcoats (GRO505) Fur waistcoats must not be worn with fur inside. If the skin gets wet it will become brittle and hard, whereas the fur helps throw off water and is not affected by wet. (1.1.15)'

As mentioned in my previous post, I have also seen reference to badly treated hides which became slimy when reversed and had to be disposed of.

Regards

Tocemma

• 1 year later...

Presumably modern sheepskin jackets (fur/wool side inside) don't deteriorate when wet - is there some treatment now that wasn't known then?

The Canadian doctor William Boyd who published his letters home as a small book “with a field ambulance at Ypres” described groups of men wearing the goatskin jerkins as looking like a recently discovered  species of wild animal, he also noted one case on anthrax contracted by a man who slept on his jerkin, using it as a pillow