Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24267 Pte Leonard Myatt

Bardess

I'm struggling with the above named as I haven't been able to locate his MIC or Medal Rolls although I'm uncertain if he served in a theatre of war. He has an entry in SER and SDGW

Edited by Bardess

Hi Diane,

The LLT shows that the 12th Battalion didn't arrive in France until 2nd June 1916, so I think that you are right about the lack of an MIC, etc being due to no overseas service.

Regards

Chris

Unfortunately the gratuity doesn't really help as it he was still within the basic fixed period (flat rate for the first 12 months service). You can say that he had at least 6 months service at time of death (otherwise he wouldn't have qualified) or he had some overseas service (which removed the 6 months minimum qualifying criteria) - not that this helps too much.

Craig

I see his mother was Mrs E Myatt......

I trust his parents WEREN'T John Thomas and Eleanor?

MYATT, JOHN HENRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 51342. Date of Death: 02/06/1916. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regiment) 
Panel Reference: Panel 10. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of J. T. and Eleanor Myatt, of 162, South Rd., Handsworth, Birmingham, England.

MYATT, SIDNEY JOHN. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 12436. Date of Death: 09/10/1916.
Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry 6th Bn. 
Grave Reference: I. J. 40. Cemetery: GROVE TOWN CEMETERY, MEAULTE.
Additional Information: Son of J. T. and Eleanor Myatt, of 162, South Rd., Handsworth, Birmingham.

MYATT, VICTOR ALBERT. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 203252. Date of Death: 11/08/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment 1st/5th Bn. 
Grave Reference: III. B. 25. Cemetery: PERNES BRITISH CEMETERY. 
Additional Information: Son of John Thomas and Eleanor Myatt, of Handsworth, Birmingham.

3 sons all in 1916 would be bad enough, but another in 1918......?

Different address, but not that far apart....

Looking at a couple of other 12th Bn men:

24245 Laughton has surviving papers which show that he attested/joined on 7th July 1915.

Using Craig's calculator, the war gratuity paid to 24271 Pipe, and 24281 French give an estimated enlistment of August 1915.

Regards

Chris

Edit: 1911 census here on Ancestry. Parents showing as having had 21 children - 7 still living, 14 dead. Tragic.

Edited by clk

8 minutes ago, KevinBattle said:

I see his mother was Mrs E Myatt......

I trust his parents WEREN'T John Thomas and Eleanor?

MYATT, JOHN HENRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 51342. Date of Death: 02/06/1916. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regiment) 
Panel Reference: Panel 10. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of J. T. and Eleanor Myatt, of 162, South Rd., Handsworth, Birmingham, England.

MYATT, SIDNEY JOHN. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 12436. Date of Death: 09/10/1916.
Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry 6th Bn. 
Grave Reference: I. J. 40. Cemetery: GROVE TOWN CEMETERY, MEAULTE.
Additional Information: Son of J. T. and Eleanor Myatt, of 162, South Rd., Handsworth, Birmingham.

MYATT, VICTOR ALBERT. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 203252. Date of Death: 11/08/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment 1st/5th Bn. 
Grave Reference: III. B. 25. Cemetery: PERNES BRITISH CEMETERY. 
Additional Information: Son of John Thomas and Eleanor Myatt, of Handsworth, Birmingham.

3 sons all in 1916 would be bad enough, but another in 1918......?

Different address, but not that far apart....

#24267 Myatt had his estate paid to his father George H (as per the effects records).

A George Henry Myatt married an Elizabeth Richardson in 1885 (Kings Norton district which covers Smethwick)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Ancestry has transcribed George Henry Myatt and his family in the 1911 England Census as Wyatt. They were living at No 2 Bk 40, Cross Street, Smethwick. Leonard was an Iron Worker - Roller.

Roger M

I have found a SDGW entry indicating home service.

Leonard Myatt

Smethwick, Staffs

24 Jan 1916

Home

Smethwick, Staffs

Private

South Wales Borderers

12th Battalion

Died

Home

Edited by rolt968

I apologise for not getting back to this thread last night [well, earlier this morning] and thank you all for delving on my behalf ^_^

Craig. As soon as I saw his SER with GBP3.00 I knew it was minimum and wouldn't help much.

Chris. Either 12th Bn is an error or he possibly didn't serve overseas but, I believe, SDGW only records deaths of those that did!?!?!?

Kevin. Yes, cousins. Handsworth was just a mile away but comes under Birmingham so I'm not researching them. Very sad for the family though.

Roger. Thanks. I have his SDGW entry.

Having the SDGW entry is confusing and, normally, it shows "previously served with" if any prior service with another regiment. Can anyone find his Medal Roll and MIC please? I've searched with ?yatt, ?y?tt, 24267 SWB and South Wales Borderers with no luck. I'm in touch with his great nephew who has no other information.

Has anyone noticed that 12 SWB was (at least originally) a Bantam battalion (formed in March 1915)? I wonder what Leonard Myatt's physique was like. Perhaps he would not have been accepted if he had tried to enlist before.

12 SWB moved to Press Heath in July 1915, to Aldershot in September 1915, to Blackdown in December 1915 and to France on 2 June 1916. Leonard Myatt died in a military hospital in Birmingham on 24 January 1916. It does tend to suggest that his only service was with 12 SWB at home.

Roger M

His great nephew hasn't seen a photo of Leonard and doesn't know if one exists. Thanks again Roger. This is proving to be a real head-scratcher