Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home Service ASC  MT duties  Woolwich/Willesden

SWMDgen

I’m trying to get a sense of what a soldier on home service in the MT ASC might have been doing  during the war.  I have no service record or medal card but I’ve found an Absent Voter listing which identifies him as M2 /200320 Pte  MT ASC Depot.  He married in Willesden in March 1918 and lists himself as a chauffeur ASC MT and the back of the certificate has R.P.A.S.C  Mechanical Transport Woolwich SE 18.   

Any information about the Depot, the ASC MT, selection/training etc would be most helpful. He was born in a 1998 so I imagine he was conscripted rather than enlisted.... and as a town boy I don’t imagine he knew how to drive beforehand. 

Many thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions of where to go for more info

Hi, sounds like he was a Driver with the Regimental Police ASC .

thanks Tomo but why the regimental police?  is that the likely interpretation of RP ASC?  Have you any notion of what they would have done?   any ideas as to how a young bloke from Colchester might have ended up there?

Any large garrison would have Regimental Police to assist in promoting good order and military discipline, Route marking, Traffic control, That sort of thing.

As a driver on home service with the RP he was probably simply required to Drive the senior officers of the RP around. There is a picture of the Buller Barracks RP in Micheal Young's Book Postcards of the Army Service Corps.

To find out more about Woolwich your best bet is to get a copy of Michael Young's book 'Army Service Corps 1902 1918' there is a lot of information on Woolwich in the book