Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15 Stars impressed naming for the IARO

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWFs,

The recipients of these six 15 Stars were Officers of the IARO, yet the variations are apparent.

Perhaps IARO afficianados would care to enlarge on this particular topic?

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

P1150446 - Kopie.JPG

15 Star rev 2Lt IARO.jpg

2Lt B. C. Covell, IARO.jpg

Lieut G. B. Roger, IARO.jpg

Rev 1914-15 Star 2Lt Muir.JPG

1914-15 Star (NWF).jpg

Kim:  Some years ago I published an article on the naming styles on 1914-15 Star Medals to British officers in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America that indicated that there were at least six distinct naming styles on those stars and identified the time period over which each style was used.  While I have little knowledge of the naming styles used on 1914-15 Stars to Indian officers I would not be surprised to find that there are a number of different naming styles for those stars.  The stars to Lieut. Goyder and Lieut. Roger appear similar to the style used on some stars to British officers, but I have not seen any medals to British officers with the naming styles used on the stars to Wood, Hauser, Muir and Covell.  The star named to Lieut. Goyder is interesting as no unit is indicated. I will email you a copy of my article.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dear Dick,

Thanks for that. 

Yes, you are right to single out the stars to Goyder and Roger: these were probably Royal Mint-produced. Goyder's was awarded apparently as late as 1930 (which might explain the lack of unit: the IARO having been abolished by then, for example). Goyder was 2xMiD as well as French and Belgian decorations. Roger, who ruined his health following strenuous service on Salonika, got nothing...

The others are almost certainly Calcutta Mint (or at least named for the India Office). That for Muir goes into great detail; Wood shows only his unit, whereas Hauser and Covell are uniform. (The former, Hauser, was attached 97 Deccan Infy, in Mesopotamia; the latter, Covell, attached to Indian State Forces in Egypt: both were MiD.) 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

MIC Capt Goyder.jpg

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

I would be happy to accept any one of these medals as being officially named. Even Goyder's, which has already been mentioned as unusual being without a unit being shown.

Dear Jim,

Thanks for that. 

Apropos Goyder, his full medal group is highly interesting...

Kindest regards,

Kim.Capt G. B. Goyder, VD.JPG

Dear GWFs,

No comment whatsoever on the cased Goyder group?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Well, my comment is certainly: my God !

I do recognize the Star, War Medal & Victory Medal of course, but you will have to spell out the rest for me.

Clasp on the VM and star on the last at RHS are noted, but not understood.

Very nicely presented !

Regards,

JMB

Kim

This is why I love foreign gongs, as everyone has seen groups with DSO's, MC's, DCM's, MM's, etc but foreign awards are quite rare in comparison.

A truly great group.

Belgium Order of the Crown with Belgium Croix de Guerre both awarded in same LG 21/8/1919. I have yet to discover why the two were sometimes awarded as a pair and not singularly.

French Croix de Guerre LG 19/6/1919

Peter

Dear Peter and JMB,

Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I live in southern Germany, where collecting medals is not an In-thing!

Yes, Capt George Barrett Goyder, VD, was a man of many parts.

Indian Finance Dept. (Delhi Durbar 1911), Vols (Punjab Light Horse: Indian Volunteer Officers' Decoration), IARO (Cavy) attd 36 Ulster Div as Asst Provost Marshal. Injured (slipped on the ice in Belgium: bad leg fracture); MiD twice and Croix de Guerre, later the two Belgian awards together.

Retired and back in England, he raised a Home Guard unit (Defence Medal), then reverted to Private...

Happily, I found three photos of Capt Goyder, two2Lt Goyder, Punjab Lt Horse ca 1910.jpg of which (circa 1910) Goyder in Nine of Clubs attire ca 1910.jpgI attach for your interest.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

what is the significance of the insignia on the lapels?

that is a very nice group of medals, any idea of why he was awarded them??

Regards

Bob R.

Dear Bob,

The gentlemen belonged to a club (in Lahore, I think), called "The Ace of Spades" or some-such. The formal-wear with lapel-insignia denoted rank or seniority within the club, it seems. I would not be surprised if the most senior officer was Lt.-Col. Grey, who had a CIE, and also a Durbar 1911, but I cannot confirm this.

I received a print of the photograph, for a fee, from G. B. Goyder's daughter (who had the medals auctioned), now long dead...

His Great War decorations were for distinguished service on the Western Front, as Assistant Provost Marshal (rare to the IARO). Such Staff Officers were mature and senior men, concerned with discipline with the - in his case - 36th (Ulster) Division, and also involved laying tapes before an attack, He was Mentioned in 1917 and 1919: the latter for the German Offensive in 1918. He kept a framed certificate of the Order of the Crown plus Croix de Guerre from the Belgians, as well as his two MiD certificates (made out to the IARO, although he was on the General List) - and his French Croix de Guerre avec etoile, is listed in the History of the 36 (Ulster) Divison.

Goyder's VD (Indian Volunteer Officers' Decoration) was awarded in 1921, and is engraved CAPTN. G. B. GOYDER, PUNJAB LT. HORSE.

His Durbar 1911 was awarded inMr Goyder Finance Member Jodhpur party 1911 Durbar.jpg his capacity as Finance Minister to a Maharaja, and he is listed as residing in his camp at the Durbar. Voila!

Kindest regards,

Kim.Goyder, PLH 2 Apr 1909 Lord Minto visit Lahore.jpg  

a very wonderful collection, thanks for the explanations and photos

regards

Bob R.

Dear GWFs,

Here is a better view of the 15 Star to Sidney Bucklee2Lt S. B. Hauser, IARO.JPG Hauser, IARO.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

I didn't want to make a great Song and Dance out of it, but I would welcome scans of the rev of 1915 Stars to officers of the IA abd especially IARO - from GWF collections, world-wide.

The IARO were a large, but historically neglected (forgoten, even) group of gifted amateurs. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.