Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW, Private John Sharp, Royal Scots

Denmags

Hello All,

Private John Sharp

My neighbour's father served with 1/9 Royal Scots, was wounded and captured on 12 April 1918. His medals have the service number, 58957. I was able to source the medal card. However, when I found his POW index card, it gives the number 54173, 1/9 Royal Scots. Both POW lists give the correct date of birth and residence. Could the number be a POW number? Any other thoughts? Can anyone tell me what it says under 1/9 Royal Scots? Have attached information.

Also need help with translation. Can see he was captured at La Bassee, unsure of word before La Bassee. His injury was R. ankle, however I am unsure which Laz he was in before he moved to Soltau Camp. Have attached both lists.

Thanks for your help.

Snip 2 GWF Sharp.JPG

Snip GWF Sharp.JPG

Snip 3 GWF Nov 1918.JPG

Chris is correct with Frankreich and Munster. D Company is written under 1/9th R Scots. I don't think 54173 is a PoW number, just one of  many mistakes in the records.

Charlie

The Medal Roll for his BWM and Victory Medal gives only 58957 and 1/9 Royal Scots. (Curiously 58956 was Archibald Scott.)

Roger M

Thanks Folks.

My neighbour is very elderly and has been trying for years to find out about his Dad. He has a photograph - haven't seen it so it may be a postcard -  with  G.W.Dransfeld's, gemusebau (vegetable growing), Kreigs, Jahr 1918 written on the back. Probably related to a work party as G.W.Dransfeld owned a mill in Soltau.

Charlie, good to know it is probably an error. As I said previously I knew this was the right man due to D of B and residence.

Roger, I, too, noticed Archibald Sharp. Have emailed my neighbour to ask if he was a relative.

Mags

Hi Mags,

Speculation on my part, but I wonder if the 54173 might be his previous service number that was on the tags that he was wearing when he was taken PoW. It might be worth doing some near number sampling to his 58957 Royal Scots number. For example 58951 Semple appears to have embarked in the UK on 31st March 1918, been posted to 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry on 31st March, then transferred/posted to 9/Royal Scots on 3rd April 1918, where he was issued his 58951 number. He appears to have been reported as missing on 12th April 1918. 58958 Templeton appears to follow the exact route, when his record shows him as renumbered to 58958, and wounded in action on 13th April.   

As previously mentioned, his medal roll intimates that he only saw service in active theatre with the 9th Battalion. What I'm wondering is that given the service records of Semple/Templeton was he "rushed" into action before the opportunity to change his tags arose.

Regards

Chris

These five digit numbers are not original 9th Royal Scots (1-4 digits from 1908, renumbered as 6 digits in 1917); but over a tenth of the battalion’s dead were 5-digit men drafted in without renumbering.

As for the action, you probably know the Ninth had been much reduced in strength fighting all the way back from in front of St Quentin to Amiens in the German offensive in March (Operation Michael). The War Diary tells us they had a huge draft of 528 on 6th April 1918. 12th April saw them in a fighting withdrawal at Calonne before St Venant, on the Lys (Operation Georgette), where losses as wounded and prisoners were high.

See http://maps.nls.uk/view/101723830 for location(Q3-5)

Further speculation in agreement with clk…

Although my Index adds nothing on John Sharp https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/

I do have near continuous records* from 58900 to 59033. Hugh Stewart 58950 was formerly 54166 HLI, Archibald Scott 58954 was formerly 54170 HLI, and similarly John Taylor 58959 was formerly 54175 HLI (and beyond). These suggest the POW record has his HLI number as consecutive numbering would give John Sharp 54173? All the killed in this batch were ‘Formerly 2/xxxxx T.R. BATTN., yyyyy, H.L.I.’ so probably came in a draft via Training Reserve Bn. No. 2 District.

It would be great to hear any stories, and to see the picture of course!

Best of luck with the research.

*Exceptions 589- 13, 24, 25, 29, 33, 34, 40, 49, 64, 79, 90, 94, 96, 99; 590 -03, 05, 08, 12, 21, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 (120 records)

Edited by Neill Gilhooley

Hello Denmag, 

The following is an article from the West Lothian Courier of 28th June 1918:-

"

Private John Sharp, Royal Scots, whose parents reside at Ashfield Buildings, Uphall. Much anxiety was felt on his behalf as no communication had been received from him for about two months, but all fears have now been set aside by his parents receiving a letter from him saying he is a prisoner of war in Germany. Before enlisting, Private Sharp was employed with Cunningham Brothers, butchers Uphall."

Regards,

Alf McM 

john sharp.png