Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest john51

June 4th 1918

Guest john51

Does anyone have a map of the 7th Lincolns, east of Auchonvillers - opposite Beaumont Hamel - showing their position in the front line on the 4th June 1918.?

My grandfather was shot in the leg and face here (survived). The 7th Lincolns had previously relieved the 10th West Yorkshire here on the night of 31st May/1st June.

The 50th Brigade next door suffered casualties from a German trench raid on the night/morning of the 4th with several casualties, and I am wondering whether the 7th Lincolns were caught up in this raid.

The war diary for 7th Lincolns shows a peak of killed/wounded for the 4th, compared to less happening before and after that date.

Thanks

TEW

Apart from the list of casualties in the 7/Lincs diary (6 ORs KIA, 16 ORs WIA) it doesn't give other details of locations etc.

The 51st Inf. Bde. diary gives 2.25am 4/6/1918 Enemy bombardment on Bde. front. Hostile raid carried out on the right (52nd Bde.) No Infantry action on the 51st Bde. front (7/Lincs). NB the 50th Bde. had been relieved by the 51st Bde.

17 Division diary has an Intelligence Summary No. 9 which gives a bit more information on the bombardment and raid/s. See Below.

Clipboard01.jpg

The same diary has a map 'E.I.Map No.2 of 13/6/1918' which shows enemy dispositions on that date which does at least include the above map refs. If the raids were carried out on the right of the Bde. Front that should place the 7/Lincs in Q.10.b & d, Y Ravine/Hawthorn Ridge area.

The map if you have an ancestry account is here.

Or here from a UK library.

As the 7/Lincs took over the line from the 10/West Yorks on the 1/6/1918 I checked their diary as well which only says;

Battalion relieved by 7/Lincs in the right sub-sector of the left Bde. front. Although details of the relief are given, map refs are not.

TEW

Guest john51

Thanks very much for that TEW.Like yourself, I have looked at the &th Lincs war diary + 10th West Yorkshire diary, and obviously seen the same info.

The other info you have provided is all new to me , so that is brilliant!

Something else to look at. I had assumed that the 7th Lincs might be nearer to Buff Avenue, since this was their departure route from the line, when they were later relieved.

Once again ...thanks for the extra push!!

John