Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary abbreviations help

Emmy

Hi there, I'm looking for some help in interpreting some abbreviations in the war diary for the unit my great grandfather was in.

A typical entry I have come across of his unit 'firing' seems to go something like this:

493rd siege battery (N) fired 30 rounds on H.B. NX42 Results 10k 10y 9z 5a 1c 10w

Could anyone kindly offer me any advice on what these abbreviations stand for?

I've just attached a sample page as there are 160 odd pages of it.

Thanks in advance,

Emma

WO-95-218-3.pdf

Results 10k 10y 9z 5a 1c 10w

Should read  1 OK 10y 9z 5a 1c 10w

These are how close 493's shells were to hitting their target.

1 OK means 1 direct hit.

Y= within 10 yds radius

Z= 25 yds

A= 50 yds

B=100yds

C= 150 yds

D= 200 yds.

The target in this case was an enemy gun. I can't remember just now if the code  NX42 means the gun itself or the location of the gun as plotted on the artillery map.

I'll check that one.

HB stands for Heavy Battery

N stands for North. 444 (S) means South.

Am I right in saying that 493 and 494 were both composed of 2 x 12" guns?

In which case, one would be "North" and the other "South".

You commonly see "Right" , "Centre" and "Left"  in larger 4 or 6 gun batteries.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Oh wow that's brilliant, thank you very much for explaining all that.

He was in 493 and I've been told they had 2 x 12" Howitzers by another forum member. I'm very new to this as I only recently came across the information, it seems he never spoke of his time in the war so unfortunately none of our living family including my dad even knew he was in France then. Could I ask a silly question - would you happen to know if it was typical for a gunner to be assigned to either the north or the south gun for his duration or would they typically go between both?

Thanks again for your help, its really appreciated!

Emma

23 minutes ago, Emmy said:

would you happen to know if it was typical for a gunner to be assigned to either the north or the south gun for his duration or would they typically go between both?

Well the North/South thing was variable, perhaps at another time they could be Right & Left, or maybe No 1 & No 2, the diaries should make that clearer.

The question is was he on the same gun all the time?? I don't know the answer to that, but probably the artillery experts will be able to tell you!

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• 1 year later...

My grandfather also served in the 493rd siege battery in 1918, from his personal diary and cross checking with the war diaries it looks like he was on the North gun all the time but he was a Sergeant so that does not mean all gunners stayed on the same gun.