Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
VincentVega

Burial return map references

VincentVega

I am trying to find out where one of my family members who was killed in action during WW1 actually died.  He is buried at Templeux le Guerard cemetery, in the Somme region.

The burial return on the CWGC web site (http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/337826/STOKES, JOHN THOMAS) shows the expected cemetery, and if I enter the reference into the coordinates converter, it correctly shows the cemetery in question.

However, I am having difficulty understanding the map reference for where the body was found.  The return includes seven men, all of whom have a map reference of F.22.c.64 against their name, including my relative, Private J. Stokes.  Other men on the list have longer references, such as F.22.a.13n.50e and F.22.a.12n.49e.

I have looked at the NLS trench map for the area - http://maps.nls.uk/view/101465290#zoom=4&lat=5654&lon=11062&layers=BT - and this does include an "F22" square.  Does the reference mean that he was *somewhere* in this square (east of Ronssoy), but the exact location within it is not exactly known?  Or is "F.22.c.64" an incomplete reference?

Many thanks in advance.

VV

303man

F is section of the Sheet, 22 the Square C bottom left as the main square is split into 4 reading a, b, c, d,  6 along  4 up.  Looking at the link left of Orchard Post in Square 22 there is a small blue line bottom of that is the spot.

Phil Evans

It looks like both references are in some way incorrect.

None of them have the sheet number, so I am assuming that it is 62c, as the cemetery.

F.22.c.64 should be either F.22.c.6.4 or F.22.c.64.xx depending on the accuracy.

On the other references, the N and E would appear to be signifying North and East. The anomaly is that, by convention, it should be East followed by North. Normally the N and E wouldn't be shown, but possibly were in this case to highlight the departure. Map references on Burial Returns are full of errors and anomolies unfortunately.

For your man I think you will just have to accept that it was somewhere in F.22.c.

Phil

TEW

The next sheet in sequence on CWGC's  server does ID the sheet at 62c and has been written in the same hand with F.22.c.64 written as F.22.c.6.4

It's not that unusual to find map refs written as  c.64 rather than c.6.4 so I don't see that as a problem.

There were two other men buried at F.22.c.6.4 on the next sheet and seven on Stokes' sheet most of which had temporary crosses.

As 303man says, it's probably within the small (blue) section of trench used as a temporary burial location.

I wouldn't be surprised if the map reading skills of the man compiling the sheets was lacking. I think he simply didn't understand that the grid lines that are aligned N-S are eastings and those aligned E-W are northings. Hence he wrote F.22.a.13n.50e as a more accurate map ref but unnecessarily added n & e and put them in the wrong place. I'd say the n & e can be ignored.

TEW

Clipboard01.jpg

VincentVega

Thank you all for the information - it's very much appreciated.