Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To my HTML gurus

Tom Morgan

What a fascinating account. It has gone midnight and I am struggling with a deadline but I had to read that through from beginning to end. Martin Middlebrook will be in print for decades to come, and deservedly so.

Tom

An engrossing account of the book and the man and for me an entirely new look behind the scenes of a 'bestseller'.

Also, I understand now about the N C O in lower case which seemed so curious in your first posting.

Thanks for letting us see this account and to the 'Pals' who helped.

Kate

Stayed up to read it very absorbing.

regards

Arm.

Quite a coup - well done Tom

Tom

A great account,like a good book I didn't want it to end. Interesting to read the comments about Mr Middlebrook's book from the "established authors".

Regards Doug

Not one of your guru's Tom but thanks for a fascinating read.

I always had a high regard for anyone who writes books (and articles) but even more so having had a glimpse 'behind the scenes' as it were.

Regards

John

Absolutely gripping. You've asked and Martin Middlebrook has answered every question I would have asked.

Thanks Tom for your efforts and thanks Martin for this insight into your methods and into the methods of publishers.

FIRST DAY ON THE SOMME will live for a long time to come.

Regards,

Fred

Tom

A great article. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I thought it interesting that MM's article concludes with him thanking his readers. It should be the other way around.

Steve

Just to clarify one thing - the "well done" message have been making me think..... I hope Pals don't think that I wrote the article. The writer is Martin Middlebrook. If there is anything in the article which gives the impression that I wrote it following an interview, or anything like that, please let me know so I can correct this. My part was just setting out the article out in the usual website format.

Tom

Tom,

There is nothing on or in the article to give any impression You wrote it and it is obviously Martin Middlebrook's article. I think the PALS congrats were for getting such an esteemed author on YOUR website.

Aye

Malcolm

Ahha. So to came to pass then, Tom. You gave me a nod and wink months ago and I thought that might be why you were asking the HTML question.

A fascinating insight into the first Great War book that I put on the shelf. Thanks for persuading Martin to write it.

John

Tom,

There is nothing on or in the article to give any impression You wrote it and it is obviously Martin Middlebrook's article. I think the PALS congrats were for getting such an esteemed author on YOUR website.

Aye

Malcolm

Tom

I totally agree with Malcolm,the congrats are for you asking Mr Middlebrook to produce the article.

Regards Doug

Thanks for making this available, Tom. I haven't read any of his books so far but look forward to in the future.

Fascinating article Tom, I too stayed up past my bed time to read it.

Fascinating article Tom, thanks for sharing it - lucky for us all that MM persisted in the face of such a lukewarm response. There's a lesson there.

Can I add hearty seconding to the above comments.

Quite unbelievable views of a brilliant book from Corelli Barnett and John Terraine (particularly due to their WFA involvement and as Terraine also started out as an amateur). I can't believe Barnett didn't take the opportunity to recant either!

Further proof if any was needed that history, like so many things, is far too important to leave to the 'professionals'.