Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Barber

Hi

I am trying to gather some details of my Great Grandfather George Barber.  He left Perth, Western Australia, for Egypt on 14 December 1914 as registrar and second-in-command of the 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital. After the landing at Gallipoli his hospital was based on the Gloucester Castle and the Franconia, dealing with casualties from the Peninsula. Barber, was promoted lieutenant-colonel on 1 January 1916 and temporary colonel next month, and was made assistant director of medical services for the 4th Australian Division which left for France in June.  I am new to this process and not sure best way to proceed. What is the best way to access official records of someones service in the war? Is it possible to access medical diaries and to trace an individuals movements throughout the war?

regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the Forum.

George has a service file in the National Archives of Australia here*, which you should be able to download. War diaries for medical units/facilities are here

Regards

Chris

EDIT:

*This link doesn't work. It goes to a "Session has ended" page. At the bottom of that screen there is "here" hyperlink that starts a new search. I did a name search, where category = WW1. You've got to refine the results - use "George Walter" in the given names box, and you should be able to get to it. Click on "view digital copy" to see the images.

Edited by clk