Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone with relatives in the 8th Bedfordshires?

steve fuller

I am about to start writing the history of the 8th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment.

Although I already have plenty to build in, I'd be interested to hear of any memoirs, photos, etc., as you can never have enough stories, can you?!

If so, feel free to post or drop me a line

Many thanks

I presume you are aware of Andrew Tatham's book, "A Group Photo" being an account of his research into a group photograph taken of the officers at the training camp. He has contacted the families of all those men and has produced a fine book about everyone of them. He seems to have had access to the maps produced by Cecil Cloake. The book only covers those officers but it is a start. He took over twenty years in tracing all the families

Hi EastIndia

His exhibition relates to the Berkshires unfortunately, not Bedfordshires but thanks for the thought (when I read your post I thought I had missed something significant for a moment!!) :) 

lol! Not to worry - curiously, that's the 3rd time in the past fortnight I have been asked about Berkshires instead of Bedfordshires. Thanks for the check too :) 

Hi Steve.

Have been in touch with you before about my great uncle John Crook. He died at Bethune in 1917. I'll see what else I've got on him if you like. Paul Crook

Steve,

let me know when you start writing the history of the 4th.

Have several pics and bio of a family member in the 4th Beds.

Alan.

9 hours ago, Paul Crook said:

Hi Steve.

Have been in touch with you before about my great uncle John Crook. He died at Bethune in 1917. I'll see what else I've got on him if you like. Paul Crook

Hi Paul

Please do Paul - have you looked through any of his local papers since we spoke?

Always nice to see the people I look into so please feel free to share the photo!

36 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Steve,

let me know when you start writing the history of the 4th.

Have several pics and bio of a family member in the 4th Beds.

Alan.

Will do Alan - who is he / they out of curiosity?

Steve,

My relatives is 43495 William Bramble.

Alan.

2 hours ago, Alan24 said:

My relatives is 43495 William Bramble.

Alan.

I'll have a look in my records over the coming days, see if he turns up (where was he from?)

Steve,

He's from Winchester. Service records survive. Derby Scheme (upon reopening 10th Jan 1916) - Joined 4th Beds in the field in Sept 1917 as part of 82 men who transferred from 13th East Surreys to 4th Beds shortly after arrival in France. Fought at Passchendaele on 31 Oct 1917 and POW 24 March 1918 at Ytres.

I've written up his bio using Battalion diary & 190 Bde Diary. Any other info you have would be useful.

Recently found a photo of him serving in '22nd Battalion Hants Home Guard - Winchester Post Office Platoon' around 1942.

Would be interested if you have any pics of the 4th Beds in France. He wouldn't have been in any pics in the UK unless there are some from Cannock(?) where he was demobbed  May 1919 - but he would have been in a reserve (3rd?) battalion by then.

Alan.

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve

Thought you might like to see a family photo re John Crook. The picture shows (Back row left to right) Annie Crook, Arthur Crook (enrolled 4th Norfolks - discharged as unfit), JOHN CROOK (8th Bedfords - died 1917), Sidney Crook (7th Norfolks), George Crook (my grandfather 1/4th Yorkshire and after WW1 2nd Norfolks). (Front Row) John Crook and Annie Crook (Parents) and Elsie Crook (seated). You might also like to know that Norwich Library hold a photo of John in his uniform. I don't know who holds the copyright or access rights to the picture. Apparently there is an £11 charge for reproducing it for the public. I haven't got a copy of it yet as I only found it last night.

All the best

Paul Crook

Grandad's Family.jpg

14 hours ago, Paul Crook said:

Hi Steve

Thought you might like to see a family photo re John Crook. The picture shows (Back row left to right) Annie Crook, Arthur Crook (enrolled 4th Norfolks - discharged as unfit), JOHN CROOK (8th Bedfords - died 1917), Sidney Crook (7th Norfolks), George Crook (my grandfather 1/4th Yorkshire and after WW1 2nd Norfolks). (Front Row) John Crook and Annie Crook (Parents) and Elsie Crook (seated). You might also like to know that Norwich Library hold a photo of John in his uniform. I don't know who holds the copyright or access rights to the picture. Apparently there is an £11 charge for reproducing it for the public. I haven't got a copy of it yet as I only found it last night.

All the best

Paul Crook

Hi Paul

Thanks for that - you were on my list of people to contact so glad we've got this on the move early! The £11 sounds like a BLARS charge?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve

I just wanted to correct the names on the photo I sent you. I put Arthur and Sidney the wrong way round. The caption should read as follows:-

(Back row left to right) Annie Crook,  Sidney Crook (7th Norfolks)  JOHN CROOK (8th Bedfords - died 1917), Arthur Crook (enrolled 4th Norfolks - discharged as unfit), George Crook (my grandfather 1/4th Yorkshire and after WW1 2nd Norfolks). (Front Row) John Crook and Annie Crook (Parents) and Elsie Crook (seated).

All the best

Paul

Hi Steve,

Sorry just seen your post. John Robert Clark was one of five brothers who served in France, 3 of which were killed and the other 2 wounded at Loos & Aubers Ridge sufficiently so that they never served in France after these battles.

Cpl/Sgt 9044 John Robert was killed 21st June at Hulluch in trenches following a shelling. He left behind a widow, Sarah & a son.

Although I cannot find a service history as I believe his records to have been part of the 60% destroyed by bombing in the blitz, I have a census return 1911 that puts him with 1BN Bedfords in Aldershot 2nd April. His service number would suggest that he attested in 1907 & I believe he may have just become a reservist in 1914 following the usual 7 with colours 5 in reserve but I'm still researching that peice if the jigsaw.

What I do know is that he was at Landguard Fort, Felixstowe and trained many men, a lot from Peterborough, his home City. It's fairly patchy from that point but the following is taken from the Peterborough Advertiser in 1917:

Peterborough Advertiser 21-7-1917

Sergeant John Robert Clark, Bedfordshire Regiment, of Morris Street, Peterborough, was killed in action on June 21st. Sgt. Clark, who was 32 years of age had served in the Bedfordshire Regiment for 10 years and was called up as a Reservist at Felixstowe and hundreds of Peterborough recruits had passed through his hands. He was the son of Mr and Mrs George Clark of 147 Wellington Street, Peterborough, his father being an old soldier. Another son was killed in 1915 and five other sons are still serving. His Commanding Officer, Captain Pierre Steyn DSO, writing to the widow says: "It is with very deepest regret I write to you of your husband's death in action on June 21st. It was late in the afternoon when, after a day's work in the front trenches during heavy shelling he was talking to other NCOs and was perfectly well and cheery, he met his death at work, a heavy shell falling right among his party and death was quite instantaneous. I can never speak too highly of his good work in the trenches and out, and he will be a great loss to the company, for no work was ever too hard for him to undertake. I know it is not possible for me to say anything capable of giving you comfort in your sad time, but I sincerely hope that the knowledge of husband's fine example in work will be a source of consolation. I beg to offer you my deepest sympathy in your great bereavement."

Sgt John Robert Clark 8BN Bedfordshire Regt.jpg

Hi Steve,

It just occurred to me that there was no mention of 8BN above so I attached a copy of War Gratuity that shows the battalion. I assume that he went to Landguard to train recruits given he wasn't long out of the colours but then got posted to 8BN at some point therefater so anything you may have regarding this place would be most interesting. Any publishing dates in mind as yet?

Kind Regards

Ian

42511_6129999_0090-00031.jpg

On 1/29/2017 at 15:10, IPUN said:

Hi Steve,

Sorry just seen your post. John Robert Clark was one of five brothers who served in France, 3 of which were killed and the other 2 wounded at Loos & Aubers Ridge sufficiently so that they never served in France after these battles.

Hi Ian

Just PM'd you - seemed easier than cluttering up forum space!