Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What's old is new again: Coal Tar antispetic powder

speake

I certainly remember WRIGHT'S Coal Tar Soap from my childhood. Considered a very good soap to bath with because of its antiseptic properties. An interesting smell.

Coal Tar is now banned from use in cosmetics in the EU (causes skin photosensitivity so a melanoma risk ????) so although WRIGHT'S Coal Tar soap is still available it no longer contains coal tar.

CGM

Edited by CGM
tidy up

Coal tar is a rich source of aromatic hydrocarbons - the chemicals in cigarettes that cause cancer. So it's use has gone the way of arsenic and radium in cosmetics and medicines.

5 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Coal tar is a rich source of aromatic hydrocarbons - the chemicals in cigarettes that cause cancer. So it's use has gone the way of arsenic and radium in cosmetics and medicines.

Although still in use in Dermatology for treatment of psoriasis.

The more unrefined the preparation, the more potent was its effect.

Nasty condition, and an unpleasant treatment.

You can buy Polytar Shampoo  over the counter at Tesco once again, it was unavailable in the UK for about 4 years.

And whereas occupational exposure to coal tar does cause an increased incidence of skin, bladder and lung cancers, there is no such risk with therapeutic preparations.

I was actually just reading about this today! It will be interesting to see if it ends up replacing penicillin. Would be rather ironic.

On 12/5/2016 at 07:24, CGM said:

I certainly remember WRIGHT'S Coal Tar Soap from my childhood. Considered a very good soap to bath with because of its antiseptic properties. An interesting smell.

Coal Tar is now banned from use in cosmetics in the EU (causes skin photosensitivity so a melanoma risk ????) so although WRIGHT'S Coal Tar soap is still available it no longer contains coal tar.

CGM

I keep an unopened bar in the cupboard in my utility room; it reminds me of my Nan's house.