Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Felt backing to badges

7t2ndswinger

I'm intending to mount and frame my collection of badges starting with all the WW1 infantry of the line. I've a few in my collection, as attached (not good examples as some are pre-WW1 or cadets, etc) but would like to mount them with the correct colour and shape of felt. In the photo those which I have with felt which may or may not be original backings. Should the cut of the felt follow the contours of the badge as in the case of the Westminster's or would it be right to follow the KRRC and CLB examples which roughly follow the outline. Is the circular West Kent's correct?

Finally is there any source of information to say which badges should have a felt backing and which colour it should be?

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

The book you need is 'Badge backings & special embellishments of the British Army' by C.E. Audax, unfortunately it's out of print now but I'd be happy to pass on any info that you need. P.M. me.

Many backings are not relevant to WW1, I personally have the Infantry regiments of WW1 framed and displayed with no backings as military description of colours are as obscure as those of Laurence Llewellyn-thingbobs.

Jim

1st instalment ref West Kent and from the book:-

...........That the 1st Battalion at some stage had worn a black two inch disc and the 2nd Battalion wore a diamond divided equally into dark blue(L0 and light blue® segments.

Seems like you'll need more than one of some badges e.g. above and R. Scots (green and red). Difficult and daunting :o

Jim

I've never got my head round these felt backings, i suppose the most famous is the KRRC ( my GF's regiment)

but i've also seen a manchesters badge with a red felt backing (boer war?) :blink:

It's a myriad subject.. I'd argue equally famous the 'buff holland' behind the South Staffordshire Regt's badge. An RUC officer wrote an anonymous book in the early 90s trying to register all the felt backings; it was useful, but chaotically organised and not completely comprehensive.

Can anyone tell me when the East Lancashire Regiment first wore the primrose yellow felt (diamond) backing? It was worn by my dad in the 1950's and by myself (QLR) in the 1980/90's, but I haven't seen many photo's of it being worn pre-1950. Why?

Dave.

Should the cut of the felt follow the contours of the badge as in the case of the Westminster's or would it be right to follow the KRRC and CLB examples which roughly follow the outline. Is the circular West Kent's correct?

so do we know the answer to that question?

i have seen KRRC badges with felt under the crown and some missing it out :(

Btw Keith, that's the first CLB badge I've seen, excellent

i have seen KRRC badges with felt under the crown and some missing it out

Total agreement here. I was going through the junk(?) badges last night and found another KRRC with red felt finishing just under the crown. Now how this for a cross-forum thread. J.R. Gaunt. London slider, pretty much unbendable except it had been crimped in the centre to hold to the headress. Voided centre and solid crown. In my opinion it's genuine.

Thanks for the CLB comment £20 on ebay!

Keith

Keith,

Pic of my KRRC badge with original felt.

Given to me by my Grandmother about 50 years ago, still trying to work out who it belonged to.

Mike

post-23-1102951990.jpg

Keith,

Pic of my KRRC badge with original felt.

Given to me by my Grandmother about 50 years ago, still trying to work out who it belonged to.

Mike

that sounds pretty conclusive for the KRRC backing, thanks Mike

but has made me wonder were the honours on the KRRC badge updated after the great war?

and if not, why not?

chris

Mike...a lovely badge you have there and a fine example to anyone wanting to compare with. Is it manufacturer stamped at all?

I'm amazed how many varieties of finish there are for Rifle Regiments. As principally a collector of the London Regiment there are no end of blackings either paint, japanned, heated polish, etc.

In reply to Chris's question about the honours, I've only ever seen the one shown, good question though, but god knows where they would fit!

Keith

Mike, that is a gem of a badge, I don't think I've ever seen one that hasn't had at least a little of the blacking worn off.

As to the addition of further battle honours post Boer War, K&K and every other reference I have make no mention of a different badge. As Keith says where would they go? K&K does mention two different sizes in King's crown. I suspect the smaller one is quite scarce.

Jim

Thanks for the complements on the condition of my badge.

Have had a look with a magnifying glass but cannot see any manufacturers marks on it.

It's in the same condition as when it was given to me all those years ago. How I wished I'd paid more attention when told who it belonged to. All I can remember now is a hazy recollection that the original 'owner' had been KIA - my grandfather was an Artillary man and I've checked the CWGC database for his brothers and my grandmothers brothers but nothing there.

Regards,

Mike

This was my dad's badge with, according to family lore, some French mud.

Bob

another superb KRRC badge!

do you know which battalion Bob?, my grandfather was 13th battalion, I've no badge but i have his medals

chris

Thanks for that Chris. He was in the 16th Battalion (CLB) 'B'Company. My brother has his three medals, which I wish I had.

Bob

;)

remind him christmas is the time for giving!