Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are the round objects on this aerial?

roel22

I recently saw this aerial in the IFF Museum in Ypres, of Kleine Vierstraat near Kemmel.

Does anybody know what the round objects on the left are?

Roel

1.jpeg

Hello!

Looks like bomb-craters

Difficult to say exactly.  They all seem to be the same size, could a bomber drop a hand full of big bombs all at once,  They are not landing on top of each other, and if the little squares to the right are buildings the craters are big or the buildings small.

The aerial seem to be taken at an early stage of the war - intact houses ...

I would say: Craters from big shells, for example 21-cm-Mörser (howitzer) shells.

Shellfire craters

Following is an Arial photo showing the extent of the bombardment on the Somme battlefield

1394818308389_Image_galleryImage_Collect_aerial_photos_cap.JPG

regards Ray

Odd... Bomb craters? Maybe - certainly not shells. But the surrounds are so symmetrical as if the upcast has been sculpted into shape...... 

The round objects have me foxed. The shadows indicate that they are doughnut shaped. May I raise a couple of other points?

1/ What are the objects in the long line at bottom right corner?

2/ The photo shows different types of trench shape. There's the classic one with right angle bends and some more like a slightly wavy line. Both would be effective in preventing enfilade fire but the former would double the length of trench to be dug (compared with a straight trench) whereas the latter would only increase it by a small amount. Why wasn't a slightly wavy line more favoured?

Here is another photo with craters between Estrées and Asservillers

IMAGE0004.JPG

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

The round objects have me foxed. The shadows indicate that they are doughnut shaped. May I raise a couple of other points?

2/ The photo shows different types of trench shape. There's the classic one with right angle bends and some more like a slightly wavy line. Both would be effective in preventing enfilade fire but the former would double the length of trench to be dug (compared with a straight trench) whereas the latter would only increase it by a small amount. Why wasn't a slightly wavy line more favoured?

1) "Doughnuts", my point precisely... We have 'sun glare/ reflection' on the bottom side of those raised doughnut edges, and shadow to the top, so south is , basically, at the bottom (but what is the exact season?). Look to the trenches, and the ones beneath the doughnuts, we have 'sun glare' on the upper side of these, so that is the parapet - the trenches are in deep shadow. So north is to the top?

2) To my mind, the one shell crater is by itself in the upper left side - black hole and white chalk upcast?

3) NO idea as to those shapes! I am a 'mere archaeologist'!

4) Yes, great trench shapes! But no further ideas!

Julian

29 minutes ago, 14276265 said:

Most likely a training ground with the different styles of trench and the constructed "shell holes".

My thought too. Training area with trenches, + N.M.L with simulated/dug craters. Tent and hut encampment on the right!

7 hours ago, PhilB said:

GWF1967 is correct: these objects are huts.

Roel

Edited by roel22

Thanks for all replies so far.

I doubt this area was a training ground. The trenches are part of the British defences at Vierstraat (a few miles away from the front line until early 1918).

Roel

Edited by roel22

They don't have the look of shell/bomb craters to me.

Clipboard01.jpg

Note the spraying out effect and that these ones look more like raised pimples but are craters.

Could those in the OP be water tanks? (made of earth).

TEW

How about earth ramparts raised around bell tents to protect the occupants from bomb or shell splinters, where the tents have been removed?

John

2 hours ago, johntanner said:

How about earth ramparts raised around bell tents to protect the occupants from bomb or shell splinters, where the tents have been removed?

John

I think this is a possible explanation, but they are not laid out in a "Military" fashion. There are similar features, visible on Google Earth, on the Military Training grounds, to the south of Mytchett Place Road, Mytchett, Surrey, not far from the RAMC Museum at Keogh Barracks.

Sepoy

3.jpg

I doubt it Garth, all this was (and is) farmland.

Roel

Hello,

I'd say definitely a training area with "fake" shell-holes. When I look at trench maps, it seems to be taken after the Messines Battle and before the Germans captured this area. It was at that point quite a bit behind the front line and thus well-suited for a training ground.

Jan

If these were fake shell holes, they`d have to have been hand dug to a set design to get them all the same. Why bother when they could easily make real ones?

Edited by PhilB

I would say the main road is Vierstraat between Molenstraat to the west and Kriekstraat to the east (with the huts along it). Klein Vierstraat Cemetery is now located in the top left of the photo. In my opinion this is not an active defensive trench system. The barns and farmhouse to the east of the firing line would have been demolished to clear the field of fire. One of the barns and the farmhouse are still standing although the farmhouse may have been rebuilt closer to Vierstraat.

regards Brian

Edited by Old Scalyback

53 minutes ago, PhilB said:

If these were fake shell holes, they`d have to have been hand dug to a set design to get them all the same. Why bother when they could easily make real ones?

Yet it was done behind the front line on training areas.

55 minutes ago, Old Scalyback said:

I would say the main road is Vierstraat between Molenstraat to the west and Kriekstraat to the east (with the huts along it). Klein Vierstraat Cemetery is now located in the top left of the photo. In my opinion this is not an active defensive trench system. The barns and farmhouse to the east of the firing line would have been demolished to clear the field of fire. One of the barns and the farmhouse are still standing although the farmhouse may have been rebuilt closer to Vierstraat.

regards Brian

Attached is a scan from a British trench map from 10 March 1918.

The place is situated on the reverse slope, so it was very difficult for the German artillery to have shelled this area before June 1917. From June 1917 to April 1918, this was quite a bit behind the front, so a training ground was created and fake shell holes had to be dug. The Germans had similar training grounds with fake shell-holes.

Jan

vierstraat.jpg

With the aerial photo, map and a bit of tech savvy the diameter of the objects could be worked out. I think the long sides of the L shaped enclosure are about 100 Yds.

TEW