Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC stores and workshop Original photos taken by a doctor

morrisc8

Keith,

Your last one looks like it may be a steam(?) winch. I read the caption as COG3. There is a board behind it that may read "SIGNALS" across the top, followed by a numbered list. My guess is that it is blind operated and the bell is a signalling bell, to which the list refers. Single rope and pretty basic, by the looks of it. It may even have come from a ship and been adapted.

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Evans said:

Keith,

Your last one looks like it may be a steam(?) winch. I read the caption as COG3. There is a board behind it that may read "SIGNALS" across the top, followed by a numbered list. My guess is that it is blind operated and the bell is a signalling bell, to which the list refers. Single rope and pretty basic, by the looks of it. It may even have come from a ship and been adapted.

Phil

close up of sign it does say  SIGNALS  on the top with a list. shame you cant read it.

asc sig.jpg

Excellent stuff, thank you for posting!!

Photo 1 Stores at St Nazaire.

Photo 2 ASC stores at Rouen  Dennis parts.

photo 3 ASC stores Rouen. boxes outside and a push bike in the door way..

store room st Nazaire.JPG

asc Dennis store parts.JPG

ASC store ww1 kb rouen.jpg

Here are some more photos and covers and places he went to. photo 1 Durkopp tractor on the Cambrai Arras road. photo 2 Peerless A/Car.

photo 3/4 Ambulance unit near Rouen.

ww1 tractor on road winch photo.jpg

Armd car ww1 peerless.jpg

ww1 asc amb photo wood.jpg

ww1 asc amb doc.jpg

ww1 photos battle.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

23 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

Are the Ambulance drivers from the ASC.

Probably yes.

There were 40 odd Motor Ambulance Convoys, which were separate companies of the ASC, eg 30 Motor Ambulance Convoy was 704 Coy ASC.

There were also a few Auxilliary (Ambulance Car) Companies (MT), eg 41 Auxilliary (Ambulance Car) Company (MT) was 812 Coy ASC, and was at some time  (all the time?) based in Rouen.

By the Armistice, the ASC had about 7000 ambulances.

I'm not sure if the ASC had a monopoly on ambulance vehicles and crew though?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great shots Keith.

I'm trying to make out the writing on the sign in the first image- something like "Do not stand on the tracks"?

Is the scrap dump picture reversed?The sign appears to say TUO or OUT backwards!

Could it be the remains of a light railway train, there are what appear to be open top wagons on the left and sections of a bridge left and right.

Edited by Gardenerbill

• 4 months later...

My wife's grandfather, Roydon Williard James Macleod  was a motor driver with ASC in Rouen Regn No. 121369.  He appears in the photograph taken at Rouen, back row fifth man from the left.  In front of him (second from right) is Hilda Mary Duncan who was in Queen Mary's Womens Auxiliary Corp.  They married in London in 1919.  Roydon was an entertainer and feel sure he would have performed in concerts at the barracks.  He did a magic show, dancing, singing,  and we had a photo of him in a Pierrot clown costume (sadly lost).  I wonder if anyone can recognise their own family member in the photo?   The photos on this thread are most interesting, and given an indication of the environment in which my wife's grandfather was working. 

POP WWI group.jpg

NAN and POP WEDDING.jpg

• 1 year later...

A few more original glass negs/photos the doctor took in 1918 from my collection.

Stone  Bunker and German bunker with beds. Last photo just to show they were taken on a stereo camera that he took to france .

He started taking stereo photos in 1910

Keith 

ww1 doc bunker in town.JPG

ww1 doc german bunker.JPG

ww1 doc armed car cammo net.JPG

On 06/10/2017 at 15:23, Gardenerbill said:

Is the scrap dump picture reversed?The sign appears to say TUO or OUT backwards!

Could it be the remains of a light railway train, there are what appear to be open top wagons on the left and sections of a bridge left and right.

Now put the right way round

ww1 doc out dump.JPG

The sign in the background says ` Gas Alert Zone East of this board respirators must be worn `

Keith

ww1 gas sign.JPG

Edited by morrisc8

• 7 months later...

Glad to say a few more came up for sale from the doctor wish i could ID him.  He came over from India and went to the uk before the war by ship. i could put some of them up to try to ID him. Hard to make out the info on the glass Bag??- La - Petit ?

doc road bag ww1.jpg

doc road Bag La Petet.jpg

Thank you bigjohn .

The neg with the Doctor in it looks like he was a Capt and his rank is on his sleeve [ old uniform ] and the other officers have them on the epaulettes . The nurse has a medal ? The Doctor is holding a cord to the flash light and camera must have been on a timer. On one of the other photos  i did not win it had 15 CCS in tents .on it.  I think the photo was taken in late 1918 or early 1919.

15 CCS location. The neg was wrong way round.

Hazebrouck Jul 15 - Sep 17; Ebblinghem Apr 18 - Jun 18; Affringues briefly in Jun 18; Anvin Jul 18 - Sep 18; Rouitz Sep 18 - Oct 18 and Jan 19 - Sep 19; Don Oct 18 - Jan 19

doc ww1 1918.jpg

doc ww1 1918 photo.jpg

doc with staff ww1 photo.JPG

Edited by morrisc8
neg wrong way round

Hindenburg Line taken in late 1918, you can see a bunker on the far right and a cart wheel near the center of the neg/photo

doc 1918 Hindenburg Line ww1.jpg