Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roclincourt 1917

Buttonboy

My grandfather John Hogg Hepple was in the Tyneside Irish. He fought and died on the 9th April 1917 and is buried in a small cemetery at Roclincourt between Vimy and Arras.

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me towards information about that particular action and  anything related to his unit. I have read the excellent book on the Tyneside Irish  but couldnot find his name in the index. He was born 18th August 1868 so I wondered if 49 was a usual age to be in action?

Regards

Ian

2010_112.JPG

Welcome to the GWF

That particular headstone is to a John "Hedley" Hepple. No.34621

not to John Hogg Hepple.

There are some service records to a John Hogg Hepple, but he's just over 17 and born in 1899. But that is serving with the RAMC.

Edited by wandererpaul
Added link to John Hedley Hepple

There is another John Hepple who served with the Northumberland Fusiliers #290325. He died on 26 October 1917.

If you have an ancestry account, it's here

Or on the CWGC website here. But CWGC have spelt the surname differently, "Heppell".

Edited by wandererpaul

There's also a spelling of John Hedley Hepple as John Headley Hepple too, which is here on ancestry, if you have an account? There may be sign up offers, which you can use to view ancestry if you wished to.

Well thank you for that. I clearly seem to have been going up a blind alley. I have been going back to my records to see where the Roclincourt link began.

Vary useful help non the less.

John Hogg Hepple

Born; 20 October 1899, registered in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland. (Father; John Hogg Hepple. Mother; Clara Hepple (nee Blackett))

There is a baptism record for a John 'Hoff' Hepple (probably a spelling error and should be Hogg) Baptised; Christ Church, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland. 15 November 1899. (Father; John 'Hoff' Hepple, Mother; Clara)

Died; registered June 1988, Gatehead Durham.

Census 1901; 10 Pout Street, All Saints, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Census 1911; 68 Lichfield Street, Gateshead. (Living with Father and step-mother, Margaret.)

Service Records;

John Hogg Hepple - 17 yrs 284 days - Living at 78 Lichfield Street, Gateshead. (possibly an error, as other records say #68)

Occupation; Postman.

No. 134792 

There is another number, 126***, but difficult to read.

30 July 1917 - attested at Gateshead. 7th Training Reserve Battalion.

20 November 1917 - Approved for appointment to the Training Reserve Battalion.

Record;

General Service; attested - 30 July 1917 - Private

General Service; To Army Reserve - 30/7/1917 - Private

Mobilised; 20/11/1917 - Private

7th Training Reserve Battalion - Posted - 21/11/1917 - Private

Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) - Transfered - Private - 14/12/1917.

Posted to 2nd Training Battalion RAMC (Blackpool) - 13/2/1918

Posted to RAMC (Tidworth) - 28/2/1918

Stayed on home shores until 5 November 1919.

No medals awarded.

There are more papers to view, here, but maybe best to get a monthly subscription.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul

Edited by wandererpaul

• 1 year later...

My great uncle, Private C. Erswell (37618), was also a soldier in the Tyneside Irish (24th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers,103rd Brigade) and also died on the same day, 9th April 1917. He is buried at Baileul Road East Cemetery, St. Laurent-Blangy.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/312642/erswell,-/

Through online research, I know that his Battalion (103rd) and division (34th) was located at Roclincourt that day, the first day of the Spring Offensive (First Battle of Scarpe). Some brief info about it here in Gen. Haig's 4th dispatch;

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/british-field-commanders-despatches/sir-douglas-haigs-fourth-despatch-battle-arras-1917/

Edited by Guest