The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Erich Loewenhardt Jasta 10

Grid

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to know if Loewenhardt was flying DVIIs in April-May 1918 with Jasta 10? If not what machine was he flying over this period?

Many thanks,

Adam

According to "Knights of the Black Cross", the day Lowenhardt was killed was 10th August 1918. His  "yellow Fokker DVII so close to him he (Wenz)could almost touch it." The aircraft then collided.. Wenz parachuted to safety,  Lowenhart's parachute failed. Lowenhart's tally at that time is recorded in the book as 54

Regrards

David

Edited by David Filsell

Hi David,

Thanks for that. I was hoping for something a little closer April-May. Some of the books I've looked at suggest Jasta 10 got its DVIIs  in this period but don't give a date and and certainly don't say when Loewenhardt began flying them. Was hoping to find out what he was flying when he made his 18th kill (SE5) on 2 May 1918.

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by Grid
missing word

That's about as far as I can go. In checking, it seems in that in May the triplane was giving way to the DV11s in the Jastas. Sadly I have no more specific references. Have you tried the aerodrome site. Its very much dominated by pro German Yanks, - MvR is king of the castle - but there is some good stuff there.

Regards

David

Edited by David Filsell