The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion London Division

Guest Mick

Evening all,

I am researching information about my Grandfather Sidney Hammond. He joined the 11th Battalion London Division 1916. He was born in 1898 and chose to join the London Rifles?

The only info I ever had from my Mum was, he ended as a Machine Gunner, and spent a lot of time in the sand? I have found some info, regarding Suez, Gaza and Palestine, but who knows, I have no idea.

i have his numbers etc, if this helps.

If anybody could shed any light on the possible movement of this regiment I would be very grateful.

Kindly

Mick

Mick

Welcome to the Forum !

The more you post the easier it becomes to help ! His number would be really useful also more on his unit. 11 Battalion London (ignoring the Division bit for now which might mean that his unit was in a London Division too) equates to London Regiment (Finsbury Rifles).

There are a few Medal Cards which would be weeded down precisely to the right one with the number.

There were two London Divisions which stayed in France for the duration, but the 11th Londons served with the 1st

London Division, numbered the 56th until April 1915 when it was moved to 54th (East Anglian) Division which served at Gallipoli in 1915 and then in Egypt and Palestine afterwards. This might be where the sand ties up with your comments !

Edited by sotonmate