Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War memorial at Diyatalawa SriLanka

ruwanka

Pl send me the date of made and who made this

20161126_055537.png

I responded to your post on the 14th Sikhs thread: I suspect it's the Ceylon Tea Planters Corps, but the pictures are a bit indistinct: any chance of clearer images? I have e-mailed you  on the address you gave on the other thread.

Dear all, Please inform me if you have any detail about the war memorial which is at Diyathalawa  SriLanka.it is made to memorize Major HALL BROWN and his men who died during Great War 1914 - 1918

best regards Major ruwan Sri Lanka Army

Is this the man??

HALL BROWN, JOHN

Major
Date of Death:
07/07/1916
Regiment/Service:
Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

10th Bn.
Grave Reference:
Sp. Mem. II.
Cemetery:
DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ

Additional Information:
Son of John and Elizabeth Hall Brown; husband of Dorothea Spelman Hall Brown.

He is listed on the medal roll of the Ceylon Planters' Rifle Corps for the 1914 medal (17 November 1914)

London Gazette 25 May 1915 p.5078

The King's (Shropshire Light Infantry). 9th Battalion— Major J. Hall Brown, from Ceylon Contingent, to be temporary Major. Dated 13th May, 1915.
London Gazette 13/ August 1915 p.8021

The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. 8th Battalion— Temporary Major J. Hall Brown, from 9th (Reserve) Battalion, The King's (Shropshire Light Infantry), to be temporary Major. Dated 31st July, 1915, but with seniority from 13th May, 1915.
London Gazette 14 March 1916 p.2904

The, Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment). Temporary Major J. Hall Brown, from the General List, to be temporary Major. Dated 29th December, 1915, but with seniority from 13th May, 1915.

Ken

1 hour ago, kenmorrison said:

Is this the man??

HALL BROWN, JOHN

Major
Date of Death:
07/07/1916
Regiment/Service:
Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

10th Bn.
Grave Reference:
Sp. Mem. II.
Cemetery:
DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ

Additional Information:
Son of John and Elizabeth Hall Brown; husband of Dorothea Spelman Hall Brown.

yep, in the memorial his name mentioned as hall brown j.thanks for ur detail and do you have any information about the war memorial here in DIYATHALAWA

18 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I responded to your post on the 14th Sikhs thread: I suspect it's the Ceylon Tea Planters Corps, but the pictures are a bit indistinct: any chance of clearer images? I have e-mailed you  on the address you gave on the other thread.

thanks sir, i cant post send you original pics here only about 245 kb s accepted.i sent you clearer images to ur email

Edited by ruwanka

Hello and welcome

These men appear to have links to Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps

During the First World War, the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps sent a force of eight officers and 229 other ranks under the command of Major J. Hall Brown. The unit sailed for Egypt on October 1914, and was initially deployed in defence of the Suez Canal. The unit was later transferred to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) and in mid-1915 was committed to the Gallipoli Campaign, landing at to Anzac Cove ('Z' Beach) on the Gallipoli Peninsula. The CPRC also performed operational duties as providing guards to ANZAC headquarter staff, including the General Officer Commanding ANZAC, Lieutenant General William Birdwood, who remarked, "I have an excellent guard of Ceylon Planters who are such a nice lot of fellows." According to its one time commanding officer, Colonel T. Y.  Wright (1904–1912), the CPRC sustained overall losses of 80 killed and 99 wounded in the First World War.

The CWGC only shows 6 men from the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps as casualties
CARLISLE, HENRY ASHFIELD. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: 2076. Date of Death: 02/05/1915. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps 
Grave Reference: I. B. 32. Cemetery: BEACH CEMETERY, ANZAC.
Additional Information: Brother of Maud S. Carlisle, of The Vicarage, Easterton, Wilts, England.

FORREST, ALEXANDER. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: 2163. Date of Death: 02/05/1915. Age: 24.
Grave Reference: I. B. 3. Cemetery: BEACH CEMETERY, ANZAC.
Additional Information: Son of George and Elizabeth Forrest, of Wardhead, Strichen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

GALBRAITH, ALEXANDER NORMAN. Rank: Captain. Date of Death: 16/02/1915.
Grave Reference: D. 39. Cemetery: POWERSCOURT (ST. PATRICK) CHURCH OF IRELAND CHURCHYARD

GRAY, LEONARD HENRY RUSSELL. Rank: Lance Serjeant. Service No: 1778. Date of Death: 15/09/1914. Age: 21.
Grave Reference: I. A. 2. Cemetery: KANDY WAR CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of the Rev. A. W. and Helen Eliza Gray, of Furze Croft, Nacton Rd., Ipswich. Born at Rushmere, Ipswich.

MIDDLEMISS, GUY. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: 2022. Date of Death: 06/05/1915. Age: 23.
Grave Reference: I. B. 36. Cemetery: BEACH CEMETERY, ANZAC.
Additional Information: Born at Rawalpindi, India. Son of C. S. Middlemiss, C.I.E., F.R.S., and Mrs. Middlemiss, of Srinagar, Kashmir, India. 
Educated at St. John's School, Leatherhead, Surrey, England.

WERE, LIONEL NARAMORE. Rank: Private. Service No: 2028. Date of Death: 12/05/1915. Age: 24.
Grave Reference: S. 767. Cemetery: ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of the late Capt. Walter Were (Royal Dublin Fusiliers), and Mrs. A. Were, of Were's Cot, Knocke-sur-Mer, Belgium.

Also
GRANT, JOHN MANN. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 09/04/1917. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Royal Scots 11th Bn. Awards: D C M 
Grave Reference: A. 12. Cemetery: BAILLEUL ROAD WEST CEMETERY, ST. LAURENT-BLANGY.
Additional Information: Son of William and Isabella Grant, of 14, Craighouse Avenue, Morningside, Edinburgh. Native of Dundee. 
Formerly Cpl. in Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps.

HANAN, GEORGE RICHARD. Rank: Private. Service No: 25223. Date of Death: 13/11/1916. Age: 39.
Regiment/Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers "A" Coy. 10th Bn. 
Grave Reference: IV. A. 9. Cemetery: ANCRE BRITISH CEMETERY, BEAUMONT-HAMEL.
Additional Information: Son of the Ven. Archdeacon Denis Hanan, D.D. and Mrs. Louisa Hanan. 
Formerly served in Ceylon Planters' Rifle Corps.

HARGREAVES, RALPH WALTER. Rank: Lieutenant. Date of Death: 01/12/1917. Age: 25.
Regiment/Service: Welsh Guards 1st Bn. 
Panel Reference: Panel 3. Memorial: CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL.
Additional Information: Son of Lucy Hargreaves, of Llanycefn, Ellesmere, Salop, and the late Walter Y. Hargreaves. 
Served at Gallipoli with the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps. Previously wounded in France, 1916.

HATTE, EDWARD STOKES. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 16/08/1917. Age: 29.
Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles 7th Bn. 
Panel Reference: Panel 138 to 140 and 162 to 162A and 163A. Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of William Munday Hatte and Lucy M. Hatte, of Kington Cowper Rd., Dublin. 
Joined the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps, Aug., 1914, also served in Egypt and the Dardanelles.

HUNTINGTON, GEORGE WALDORF. Age: 32. Date of Death: 24/08/1916. Rank: Second Lieutenant. 
Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps, 6th Bn. attd. 8th Bn.. 
Grave/Memorial Reference: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL    Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.    
Additional Information: Son of the late Thomas Huntington, of Norwich, Connecticut, U.S.A. 
Joined the Ceylon Contingent Aug., 1914. Also served at Gallipoli and in Egypt.

JOACHIM, CLIVE BRECHMAN. Age: 20. Date of Death: 13/04/1918. Rank: Gunner.

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery, Command Depot (Ripon). Service Number: 79365.

Grave Reference: RIPON CEMETERY, D. 822.
Additional Information: Son of Cecil Henry and Clara Sophia Joachim, of Micadawatta Estate, Veyangodo, Ceylon. 
A planter. Came from Ceylon, April, 1916, to enlist.

MEIRE, WALTER HERBERT GEOFFREY. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 26/09/1915. Age: 25.
Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment 9th Bn. 
Panel Reference: Panel 30 and 31. Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Walter H. and Hanah M. Meire, of Verne House, Brundall, Norfolk. 
Formerly of the Ceylon Planters Rifles.

MOLDRICH, JOSEPH BERNARD. Age: 21. Date of Death: 21/08/1916. Rank: Private. 
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers, 1st Bn. Service Number: 21725. 
Memorial Reference: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Pier and Face 8 C  9 A and 16 A.    
Additional Information: Son of Justus Brandt Moldrich and Daisy Moldrich, of College St., Kotahena, Colombo, Ceylon. 
Came from Ceylon to enlist.

MORLAND, KENNETH IRVINE THOMSON. Age: 32. Date of Death: 03/09/1916. Rank: Second Lieutenant. 
Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry, 6th Bn. 
Grave Reference: GUILLEMONT ROAD CEMETERY, GUILLEMONT, Sp. Mem. 3.
Additional Information: Son of Edward and Ethel F. Morland, of Staverton House, Oxford. Born at Abingdon, Berks.

Educated at Haileybury. M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford. Tea planter in Ceylon, 1908-1915. Enlisted 1915, in H.A.C.

NEAVE, GERALD VANSITTART. Age: 33. Awards:     Mentioned in Despatches. Date of death: 16/08/1917. Rank: Captain. 
Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry, 2nd/1st Bucks Bn. 
Grave Reference: TYNE COT MEMORIAL. Panel 96 to 98.
Additional Information: Son of Edward S. and Evelyn J. Neave, of 5, Warwick Rd., Ealing, London.

A Ceylon Planter. Enlisted Feb., 1915.

RADCLIFFE, GEORGE AMYAS. Age: 23. Date of Death: 25/04/1917. Rank: Lieutenant. 
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps, 17th Sqdn.    
Grave/Memorial: DOIRAN MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Comdr. C. A. Radcliffe, R.N., and Georgina Louisa Radcliffe. 
Returned from Ceylon to join in Sept., 1914.

RAINBOW, THOMAS WELFORD. Age: 28. Daye of Death: 18/11/1916. Rank: Second Lieutenant.
Service/Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment, 10th Bn. 
Memorial Reference: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Pier and Face 5 A and 6 C.
Additional Information: Son of Benjamin and Eliza Jane Rainbow, of Darlingscott, Shipston-on-Stour, Worcs. 
Previously in Ceylon Planter's Rifle Corps. Also served at Gallipoli.

RETTIE, GEORGE ALEXANDER. Age: 30. Date of Death: 21/11/1915. Rank: Private.
Regiment/Service: 16th (The Queen's) Lancers. Service Number: 7465.
Grave/Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Panel 5.
Additional Information: Son of Alexander Thomson Rettie and Kate Anne Rettie (nee Will). Native of Cullen, Banff. Resident in Ceylon. 
Came to England to enlist, Nov., 1914.

SHORT, WILLIAM INNES. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 11/08/1915. Age: 31.
Regiment/Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers 1st Bn. 
Panel Reference: Panel 85 to 93 or 220 to 222. Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of George Short, of 22, Albert Place, Berwick-on-Tweed, and the late Anne Roland Innes Short. 
Enlisted as Rfn. in Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps.

SLOANE-STANLEY, HUMPHREY HENRY. Rank: Captain. Date of Death: 13/04/1918. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Grenadier Guards No.1 Coy. 4th Bn. Awards: M C 
Panel Reference: Panel 1. Memorial: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Henry Charles and Constance Sloane-Stanley, of 42, Christ Church Rd., Winchester, Hants. 
Served in Egypt from Nov., 1914 to July, 1915, with Ceylon Planters' Rifle Corps

SPICER, STANLEY THOMAS. Age: 26. Date of Death: 09/08/1916. Rank: Lieutenant.
Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment, 2nd Bn. 
Grave Reference: DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ, I. C. 30.
Additional Information: Son of Lieut. N. A. R. Spicer, R.N. and Adelaide Spicer, of Carnanton, The Church Way, Sanderstead, Surrey. 
Came over with 2nd Ceylon contingent and joined as Pte. in The Rifle Brigade Dec., 1914.

TROUP, FRANCIS MONCK-MASON. Rank: Lieutenant. Date of Death: 10/04/1917. Age: 30.
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers 13th Bn. 
Grave Reference: I. A. 17. Cemetery: MONCHY BRITISH CEMETERY, MONCHY-LE-PREUX.
Additional Information: Son of James and Elizabeth Beda Troup, of 39, Grandview Grove, Armadale, Melbourne, Australia. 
Late of Corfu and Maskeliza Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps Contingent. Also served in Egypt and Dardanelles. Born at Dunedin, New Zealand.

WACE, HERBERT GORDON. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 21/08/1915. Age: 31.
Regiment/Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers 
Panel Reference: Panel 186 to 192. Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Mabel Frances Wace, of Cumbers, East Liss, Hants, and the late Herbert Wace, C M.G., C.E. 
Came from Ceylon with Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps and was gazetted.

The Lanka Library website has these details about Kandy War Cemetery:

Kandy War Cemetery at Pitakanda merits special mention, as it is often singled out as one of the most beautifully landscaped and maintained war cemeteries in the world. In a memorial erected in this cemetery in 1973 bears the names of 28 Italian prisoners of war who died in Ceylon between 1939 and 1945. These prisoners were buried in the Kandy War Cemetery and the former Combined Services Cemetery which is now called the Trincomalee War Cemetery.

Kandy War Cemetery

This Colonial War Cemetery is down by the Mahaweli riverside. During World War II there was a decisive moment for the British defending the empire against the Japanese after Singapore was occupied by the Japanese. The military headquarters were shifted from Burma to Ceylon and Lord Mountbatton gave his instructions from Peradeniya gardens to hold up the Japanese, undermining the dominance of the British Empire in this part of the world. Kandy played a special role during the colonial period under the British from the first to the last moment.

Formerly known as Pitakande Military Cemetery, it was acquired originally by the military authorities, and was subsequently taken over by the Commonwealth war graves commission as a permanent war cemetery. The Army Graves Service transferred war graves from Diyatalawa Boer Military Cemetery; (including graves which had previously been moved from Diyatalawa Camp Cemetery and Diyakaduwa Cemetery and from Bandarawala); Galkissa General Cemetery; Ihala Vitiyala Burial Ground; Kandy Civil Cemetery; Kollonawa Burial Ground; Kotagala Forest Creek Cemetery; Mahaiyawa Cemetery; Murugampola Cemetery; Rawatawatte General Cemetery, Moratura; Tibotugoda Etakorasa Cemetery and Trincomalee Hindu and Buddhist Cemetery. In 1958 the Commission moved in two graves from Kandy Civil Cemetery where permanent maintenance could not be assured. The special memorial Type C commemorates a naval man known to have been buried in the cemetery but whose grave could not be precisely located. It bears the superscription "Buried near this spot".

There is 1 Commonwealth burial of the 1914-1918 war and a further 196 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 war commemorated here.

In addition there are 4 Foreign National and 2 non world war burials. No. of Identified Casualties: 201 (Source: CWGC)

An idea of the range of nationalities laid to rest on this Island comes from the records of the War cemetery in Kandy, where 201 war dead rest, among them 107 Britons, 35 East Africans, 26 Sri Lankans, 23 Indians 6 Canadians, 3 Italians and 1 Frenchman.

Harking back to an earlier war, 141 Boer prisoners of war who died in the Diyatalawa Camp between 1900 and 1902, and British servicemen who died during the same period, lie at the Diyatalawa Military Cemetery.

Dear sir.could you please give me the following details  about the war memorial which I mentioned in my topic.

The name of the memorial.

When this memorial erected

and by whom?

Edited by ruwanka

I think it is quite likely that the memorial was  funded  by the Volunteer Corps regiments of Ceylon many of whose members volunteered for service overseas out of Ceylon.

The following link written by Major Anton Edema indicated that  Diyatalawa was the site of the Volunteers Annual Camp  https://www.scribd.com/doc/24687734/Diyatalawa

Perhaps you could try to contact  Major Anton Edema, who is/was with SLLI,    who appears to have done  a lot of research into the Volunteer Corps and who could perhaps give you further information.

This Facebook page could be him.  https://www.facebook.com/anton.edema

Cheers

Maureen

My response was to one of your three posts and which did NOT contain any photographs.

Those you have included are too dark to read with any chance of discerning their Names.

Could you attach better quality photos, Major Karunarathne?

Did you get any response to your question of 26 November, on the Deputy High Commissioners blog site http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/lauradavies/2015/04/28/gallipoli-ceylons-role-remembered/

Thank you for raising this topic, without your question I would not have known how much the CPRC were involved in WW1 and that after Gallipoli they were disbanded and many found themselves gaining commissions in the British Army.

That's why I included those showing prior service with the CPRC and hopefully you'll confirm they are amongst those named on your Memorial.

I hope that's of some assistance.

I guess you are related to either (or both) Major General Sanath Karunaratne (Retired) and/or Major General Dhananjith Karunarathne?

Is that you with the orange plume in 11th Battalion, the Gajaba Regiment?

Edited by KevinBattle

2 hours ago, KevinBattle said:

dear sir,I am Major ruwan karunarathne from Sri Lanka sinha Regiment.those two senior officers are not my relatives,but Major Genaral Sanath karunarathne is one of vary dedicated and kind hearted senior members of my Regiment.dear sir i wanted to put up pics with better quality. but only up to 245kb pis are allowed to attach.could you please give me your email then i will send you good quality pics.

Best regards Major ruwan.

3 minutes ago, Bardess said:

The restriction on photo sizes has been lifted. Post away ^_^

no way mam....it is same-_-

On 11/26/2016 at 12:33, Steven Broomfield said:

Sir,i have posted some pics of war memorialat Diyatalawa Ceylon, in gallery. please see them and give me some details about it if you know...

On 11/27/2016 at 20:45, ruwanka said:

sir, ihave posted better pics in gallery.pl look at them..

Thank you for posting further images (4) in the Gallery which can be accessed through

Seeing these detailed images does not change  the view I had in post 11 above.  "I think it is quite likely that the memorial was  funded  by the Volunteer Corps regiments of Ceylon many of whose members volunteered for service overseas out of Ceylon".

The only regiment formed in Ceylon for service overseas during the First World War was the  Ceylon Planters Rifles Contingent, so members of other Volunteer Corps also served in this Contingent.

There is another GWF thread about the Ceylon Planters Rifles

There is also information about the Planters Rifles generally on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Ceylon

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Ceylon

Refer to my comment on post 11. Possibly Major Anton Edema may be able to provide further information.

Cheers

Maureen

• 4 weeks later...

On the CPRC theme, I was wondering if anyone has information regarding 2nd Lieutenant James Douglas Thomson  (noP) and his association with the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps. He was born in New Zealand but I’m assuming he worked in Ceylon pre WW1.

I am aware of some his post CPRC service details but don’t know if he served in Gallipoli or Egypt.

However I do know he served with the NZ Machine Gun Corps in France; was Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant 17th Nov. 1917;  was severely wounded 24th August 1918 - Grevillers,, France but sadly died of his wounds 28th August 1918 - Gezaincourt, France, age 30.

Cheers

Les.