Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PTE H NICKLEN - 2ND DORSETS - MESOPOTAMIA

Acknown

I am researching 16078 Pte Henry Nicklen of 2nd Battalion The Dorsetshire Regiment (enlisted 1915) who drowned in the River Tigris on 16 December 1916 (Register of Soldiers' Effects). It seems his body was not recovered as he has no known grave and is remembered on the Basra Memorial. Due to his date of death and the circumstances, I assume he was neither at the siege of Kut, nor on the long march into captivity of the 2nd Dorsetshires thereafter. According to History of The Dorsetshire Regiment (Ling, Dorchester, 1932): ‘When the 2nd Battalion became invested in Kut, various officers and men on its strength were in Mesopotamia, though not with it’ . Some had been sick or wounded and some on other duties. In February 1916, these men were amalgamated with 2nd Norfolks as a ‘Composite English Battalion’, familiarly christened ‘The Norsets’. This battalion took part in operations to relieve Kut along the River Tigris, but in April, retired to defensive positions along the Tigris, enduring a long, hot summer of reduced supplies, disease and being sniped at by Arab marauders. The Dorset element was retitled 2nd (Provisional) Battalion Dorsets in mid-1916 and in December was engaged in training at Sheikh Saad on the Tigris River, south-east of Kut. I assume Nicklen was with them.

It would help if I could find his medals card or something that would show when he arrived in theatre. Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Acknown

His MIC is under Private Henry NICKLIN.

There are no dates listed on the MIC when he entered a theatre of war. You could check the medal rolls now though. :)

Thanks Wandererpaul. So it is, that was quick of you! Nothing about theatre entry on the roll though. I'm going with my theory unless anyone else can advise.

Acknown

• 3 weeks later...

To tidy this one up, I have been shown a local newspaper memorial and Field Service report of his death AFB.2090(M) from 2nd Dorsets at Busra on 02 Jan 17, which both state that he was accidentally drowned whilst on duty on 18 Dec 16.

• 1 year later...

Hi Acknown.  Having just found GW Forum, I came across your post from November 2016 asking about Pt. Henry Nicklen, who was my wife's Great Grandfather.  We are interested to learn more about Henry and maybe you could provide a link or a copy of the newspaper memorial mentioned in your follow up post of 12 Dec 2016. Unfortunately, we have no information regarding medals or any details of his military service.  Thank you.

Welcome!

Medal Roll just confirms 2nd Dorsets. Gives date of drowning as 18-12-16. As does his CWGC record and the Soldier Died in Great War list. 

The SDGW list says born Cranborne, living in Alderholt, enlisted in Brockenhurst.

His Effects record indicates a war gratuity of £3 10s. So 13 months service. So serving from approx Nov 1915. 

Edited by Mark1959

To add a bit more - the war gratuity would indicate enlistment in the month from 19 Nov 1915.

To narrow it - by looking at surrounding men we can see that #16073 was issued on 6 Dec 1915 so #16078 was issued between 6 Dec 1915 and 18 Dec 1915.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Jalexa3733 - I've been offline for a while. If you send me an email address in a Private Message and I'll send you what I have on him.

Acknown