Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Salonika Army in Batoum/Batum (Batumi) 1919

JustinL

I never cease to be fascinated by what I learn about history through my research. Having spent a while researching the British actions against the Bulgarians in the Salonkia theatre and discovering some of the shocking facts about the Greek ethic cleansing (genocide?) of Aegean Macedonia, I have now learnt that Britain become embroiled in the Russian Civil War following the revolution.

Churchill's desire to intervene in the civil war in support of the White Russians against the Bolsheviks led to the deployment of British troops to the Caucasus. Specifically, the British Salonika Army (later dubbed the Army of the Black Sea) was dispatched to Georgia in late 1918 and early 1919.

One of my ancestors served with the Surrey Yeomanry, and according to his service record he arrived in Batoum (i.e. Batumi in Georgia) in February 1919 and was deployed 'to the Concentration Camp'. 

Does anybody have any knowledge of this 'concentration camp'? Presumably it wasn't the sort of camp that the Nazis established 30 years later. Was it perhaps a POW camp?

I would be very grateful if anybody could cast some light on this.

Many thanks, Justin

I didn't know about the concentration camp, but when we were in Batumi a few years ago there was definitely mention of a British military hospital.

For the type of camp you could investigate those the British set up during the Boer War.

sJ

Thanks for the reply, Jane.

I am aware of the British concentration camps established during the Boer War, but I can't see how those internment-types were applicable during the British presence in the Transcaucasus given that we were not at war against Georgia. 

It makes me think that it was a camp for Ottoman POWs.

I should have said that my man was only there for less than 10 days. If I understand the casualty form correctly, he was back in Salonika on 2nd April, having been 'disembodied from Batoum'.

Justin

When service men were demobilised in the Balkans they were sent to a "Concentration Camp" at Salonika, as has been previously stated it seems to refer to any camp where men were sent before being moved on.

Thank you Maureen and Mark for the further replies. I've got the picture now. 

Mark - I have read through many of your threads relating to your grandfather's service in the 801st MT Coy with particular interest. I could do with a Vulcan mind-meld with you to gain a complete picture of the activities of the Surrey Yeomanry in Aegean Macedonia.

Justin

Justin,

Have you got the History of the Surrey Yeomanry? I really enjoyed reading their exploits patrolling the villages of the Struma Valley. Glad you have enjoyed reading my threads too.

Mark,

You mean The history and war records of the Surrey Yeomanry by E. D. Harrison-Ainsworth? Alas not, and at the current going price of £75 (or £189!!), I don't think I'll be getting a copy any time soon. Although, I could try getting it on loan from the British Library.

I do, however, live relatively close to the NA, so I can go up and photograph the war diary. Probably a poor second best, I know.

I have another question for you. How were you able to locate the war diary of your grandfather's unit, the 801st M.T. Coy? I'm also researching two brothers (cousins of my paternal grandfather) who served in Salonika with the 819th M.T. Coy. I can't find any reference in the NA catalogue.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

The diaries of those attached to the Serbians are all in the same file at Kew:

WO 95/4814 H.Q. Supply Columns with Serbian Army 1916 July - 1919 Aug. 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (688 Company ASC) 1916 June - 1919 July 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (689 Company ASC) 1916 Aug. - 1919 June 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (706 Company ASC) 1916 June - 1919 Mar. 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (707 Company ASC) 1916 June - 1919 June 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (708 Company ASC) 1916 June - 1919 May 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (709 Company ASC) 1916 Aug. - 1919 June 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (819 Company ASC) 1917 July - 1919 Mar. 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (820 Company ASC) 1917 June - 1919 June 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (880 Company ASC) 1916 Dec. - 1919 Mar. 
WO 95/4814 Supply Column Serbian Army (881 Company ASC) 1917 Mar. - 1919 May 

Not digitised yet, as far as I know.

Ron