The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to find Wilfred Burgess.

Hookleg

On a local Suffolk War Memorial is the name 2nd Lieutenant Wilfred Burgess, Suffolk Regiment. I have been unable to find him on my genealogy site, either under military entries or on census returns. A local man has suggested that his name may be on the Thiepval Memorial and that date of death may be 18.08.16. and he may have been in the 2nd Battalion possibly with a middle name Frederic(K), but I still can't locate him. Any help much appreciated.

Now that's interesting. Rev. Edward Simeon Burgess was born in Ferozepore, Bengal in 1850. He married Elizabeth Gibson in Kussowlie, Bengal in 1875. He was a curate in Pakenham from 1902, and was chairman of Pakenham parish council between 1907 and 1918.

You may have solved your John Lionel problem, also.

Edited by IPT

Thanks everyone, I had seen an entry for a William Burgess, but not for Wilfred as it says on the memorial. I had also seen a reference to a Rev E S Burgess as father, but could find no military record for a Wilfred Burgess. Could find no record of a rector at Pakenham with the surname Burgess, but a Curate would fit. With so many commemorated at Thiepval and no concrete evidence that William was Wilfred, I came for help from the forum. Wonder why they changed his name ????. So you would think that John Lionel Burgess was his brother. Thanks for that extra snippet and well spotted. No wonder you are a Lieut-General !!!!!

Thanks for your help Diane. I am trying to research the names on the Pakenham, Suffolk, Memorial, as no one seems to have taken the time to do so. My Great grandparents had one of their three farms there, although they had passed away by the time of WW1. I have researched all the names on the memorial in my village plus all the names on the roll of honour, which names all who served. I find it so sad that these, mainly young men, are forgotten for 364 days of the year and just mentioned for a few moments on Nov 11th. People need to know about their lives and their families. I have written several lengthy articles about my own village's fallen and the dedication of the memorial in 1920. Although I live in a village with about 1,000 people, you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of families that have lived here for 3 generations. I think that  this is part of the problem. I hope to put my research in the church at Pakenham so that more people can relate to the names on their memorial.

William Frederick Burgess first served as Pte 1334   Middlesex Regiment 

Commissioned  2nd Lt  Suffolk Regt  13th June 1915  LONDON GAZETTE  entry

His fathers later address  (Rev E S Burgess) is given as Fish Hoek  Cape town South Africa

(source MIC)

2 minutes ago, IPT said:

I don't think it was uncommon for men named William Frederick to be known as Wilfred. I can find a number of examples.

Will (William) + Fred (Frederick)  =  Willfred

came across this 

Tuesday, June 15th, 1886.
MARRIAGE :- KING - TURNER.
At Allerthorpe, Lions River, on the 9th June, by the Rev. E. S. BURGESS, - Robert John, youngest son of Mr. John KING, of Lynedoch, - to - Mary Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. James TURNER of Allerthorpe.

Looks like his father lived in South Africa in 1886

Where was William / Wilfred born  ?

Ray 

You Guys are just amazing. I still have 5 names to research from the village. Some do not appear on the memorial, but lived most of their lives in Pakenham. Some have relatives with the same name so I've got to be careful to get my info correct if I'm going to put the folder in the church. I have managed to find a few newspaper photos and reports for some men. I may be asking for more help soon. I am truly grateful to you all.

• 6 months later...

He has also just turned up on my list as he was educated at the Junior King's School in Canterbury (prep school and feeder to the King's School) from September 1898 to April 1899. Don't know yet where he went on to.  He embarked for France on the 27th of July 1916. He was one of seven officers who joined the 2nd Battalion of his regiment in the field at Mericourt on the Somme on the 1st of August 1916 to replace the heavy losses the battalion had suffered during the July offensive. 

Will keep you posted on where his story takes me next. When I've found what I can I'll be adding him to the King's School memorial site

Cheers John