Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

dusmif

Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post, I collect WW1 and WW2  firearms, flintlocks and swords, I have a small collection of the Iron Cross from 1813 to 1957.

Having said that, I stared to collect Pickelhaubes and I am new to this hobby, so I need some help from members that are more informed than me, which I will appreciate very much.

Now for my first question, I found this Pickelhaube for sale which I like but there is this chinstrap that I am not comfortable with, as I see it it is too loose from the body.

It is normal to find Pickelhaubes with a chain like this please?

Thank you for any replies.

Alf

Capture chain band wie.JPG

Hi Dusmif,

And welcome to the GWForum!

I am not a pickelhaube person, but the strap looks fine to me - it certainly has that 'worn' look!

If you don't have any joy here you might want to try http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/ as that is dedicatd to these things.

Trajan

On 11/28/2016 at 15:15, trajan said:

Hi Dusmif,

And welcome to the GWForum!

I am not a pickelhaube person, but the strap looks fine to me - it certainly has that 'worn' look!

If you don't have any joy here you might want to try http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/ as that is dedicatd to these things.

Trajan

Thank you Trajan for your advice.much appreciated.

Alf

What is the wappen on this? I am guessing Prussian? Does it have any internal markings? 

Trajan

All information is on the dealer's website about this helmet... It is a model 1844, which was even prehistoric in WW1 terms.

Ye Gods! That is indeed an ancient piece! An artillery pickelhaube with the highest ball I have ever seen! 

Hello!

The "ball" was introduced September 19, 1844.

Very nice hat!!!!!