Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt William Knowles Tyldesley

wpf1958

I am researching Lieutenant William Knowles Tyldesley who died on 26th April 1918 and is buried in La Clytte.

I have him leaving the 5th Battalion on 22nd October 1915 to return to England for a commission. At the moment I can't find his commission date (often quoted as 9th October but not according to the Battalion Diary), nor when he returned to France?

Has anyone any information to get him back to France and to which unit and when he joined 9th Battalion?

I know his papers are available in Kew but living in Belgium it is not an option sadly.

Any advice or information would be gratefully received.

Wilhelm

Thanks Harry for that. Really helpful.

Just need to find out his return to France, slightly more difficult I think.

Wilhelm

As usual you are so kind, could you have a quick squint at Chaplain 4th Class The Reverend Charles Gustave Clark Meister, MC too? Not sure if you got my reply to that one.

Much appreciate your help.

Thanks so much.

Wilhelm

A report was published on 2 May 1918 in the Manchester Evening News to the effect that Lt. Tyldesley was missing. The report also stated that he had returned to France only two weeks before, so about 18 April. The war diary for 9th Bn. Loyal North Lancs. Regt. mentioned, on 22 April, 2 officers joined from base, and on 23 April, 12 officers joined from base, none were named. Lt. Tyldesley was not mentioned in the diary on 26 April 1918 but was listed in the end of month casualty list of 9th Bn. as having been killed on 26th.

Tyldesley, Lt. W. K.., Manchester News, 2.5.1918.JPG

Wonderful information that makes total sense. He had provided bombing training to new arrivals in northern France in 1915.

Stunning piece of research, thanks so very, very much. I really appreciate you help.

Wilhelm

1 hour ago, wpf1958 said:

As usual you are so kind, could you have a quick squint at Chaplain 4th Class The Reverend Charles Gustave Clark Meister, MC too? Not sure if you got my reply to that one.

Much appreciate your help.

Thanks so much.

Wilhelm

I already listed that when you posted it ! WO374/47237.

Fascinating memorial, where is it please?

Wilhelm

I guess it is the one in Westhoughton Cemetery?

Wilhelm

Wilhelm

Lt W K Tyldesley WO374/70105.

Not a good file to see, a bit short of your needs. It's the "weeding" that disturbs the full story, at some time much later (30s or 40s) the War Office took out some pages, presumably to reduce the bulk of the papers for storage, deciding which are no longer necessary.

Your man is shown as commissioned 9 Oct 1915 in 3/5 LNLR in France and returns to England on 22 Oct 1915. His record showing movements ends at that point and there isn't another which might have shown where and when and with whom he served.

Edited by sotonmate

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:01, wpf1958 said:

I guess it is the one in Westhoughton Cemetery?

Wilhelm

My apologies, I didn't see your question to me. Yes, it's the Tyldesley family gravestone, in Westhoughton Cemetery.

DSC06705.jpg

Thanks so much for taking the trouble of looking at his file in Kew, sometimes they are a treasure trove and on other occasions there is a little less.

Thanks too for the confirmation of the photograph in the cemetery.

Most grateful to you both.

Wilhelm