Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

saraho

Hi

I am hoping to find some more information about my great grandad Thomas Proctor. He was in the Army Service Corps and the Royal Welch Fusiliers and his service numbers are T/854, T4/244956 and 292895. He was born in 1896 in Lancashire.

Would anyone know which Army Service Corps companies and Royal Welch Fusiliers battalion he was in, and what position he was? Is it possible to find any diaries or actual personal files that might describe what happened to him? I think he must have been in Egypt in 1917 as I have a photo of him with his brother Robert Albert Proctor from that time.

Thanks a mill for any help,

Sarah

• Admin

Sarah, I have merged your three separate topics on the same men into one, as it might get confusing with all three on the go, I've also added ASC as a tag 

Michelle 

Medal Roll for BW&VM shows an awful lot of info. Only on tablet and cannot get image to paste. Says

T/854 ASC

1/E.L Bde Coy

attched 53/ Welch Div

9Corps Transport Depot

449 Coy/42 Div Train (repeated)

T4/244956

449 Coy/74 Div Train

A.H.T.D

Imp Sch of Instrn

ImpSch of Instrn

7th bn RWF

Looking for more...

The T prefix to his number indicates Transport [ horse] . so probably a driver of a supply wagon.

His medal index card shows he entered the Egypt theatre of war on November 5th 1914.

At first glance, I can't see that his service record survives, which will severely restrict the amount of information you will get, particularly with regard to movements and dates.

But the Medal rolls do seem to contain some useful information about ASC companies (449 in particular).

They should have a war diary online that you can download.

It is unlikely he will be named in it though, but at least says where the company were and when.

When he was in that company will not be easy to find.

His MIC says he entered Egypt 5th Nov 1914. ASC shown on MIC so assumption is with ASC on embarkation. Show he was awarded 1914/15 Star as well as the other 2. Medal Roll for Star shows his number asT/854 so that was number when going to Egypt. 

discharge on MIC is 8/3/19

the experts on numbering may be able to give a rough idea when he changed his numbers.

service papers do not appear to exist

all above from Ancestry

The second T prefix number would have been issued early 1917 as the renumbering to 6 digits came in. 

thanks so much everyone! I could find info about Robert but l was finding it hard to find anything on thomas...and what i did find I didnt really understand! youve been a great help! thanks

Just to add that as suggested above, 449 Coy ASC were Train No 3. Company (Horse Transport) in Egypt & Palestine for 42nd (East Lancashire ) Division, then 53rd (Welsh) Division, again in Egypt & Palestine. (Also mentioned is 74th (Yeomanry) Division.

Sorry, don't know when.

Diaries are available at Kew for these:

42nd (East Lancashire ) Divisional Train

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7359397

01/05/1915-31/03/1917

Not downloadable

74th (Yeomanry) Divisional Train

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7359745

01/04/1917-30/04/1918

Not downloadable

74th (Yeomanry) Divisional Train

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355618

1/05/1918-30/06/1919

Downloadable

Nor sure if the Yeomanry files relate to the RWF Divisional Train, I can't find specific ASC diaries for RWF Divisional Train just at the moment.

There is a published history of the 53rd (Welsh) Division in WWI.

Bernard