The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish POW Book

Sjack91

Does anyone have any information or recommendations for a book if any exist on a Scottish or Scottish POWs during WW1. I like to read personal books where you get a good account of what the soldier has been through. Any help would be much appreciated.

stuart 

One that comes to mind is 'Wounded and a prisoner of war ' by M.V Hay , he was an officer in the Gordon Highlanders who was wounded and captured

at Mons in 1914 and after treatment at a French hospital at Cambrai was sent to Germany and eventually repatriated. His experiences were obviously

a lot different from the other ranks but I found it interesting , especially as it contains his experiences at the Battle of Mons.

Fresh in my Memory Always by Joseph Garvey,Scots Guards. Though he was English Joseph Garvey was a pre-war regular and was recalled at the outbreak of war. He was captured at the battle of First Ypres. Maybe that he served in a Scottish regiment might interest you.

Nigel

The War Behind the Wire by John Lewis-Stempel is a great book about the POW experience for soldiers in WW1. Although not specifically about Scottish troops, I do think it would be quite close to what you're looking for and I highly recommend it!

- J