The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

87233 Gunner Ingram MM, CFA. need help re:MM

Freerocker506

Gunner Percy Ingram was my great grandfather and with my grandmother recently passing away I have come into possession of his Military Medal. I have been trying to find a citation for the medal, or any inkling as to what it was awarded for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the link to the London Gazette entry of 24 January 1919 - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31142/supplement/1243 By this time, the details of how the award was won are not mentioned. The entry provides his unit and you could look up the war diary on the Library and Archives Canada site to see if he is mentioned. Good luck with your research?

All the best,

Gary

Thank you for the response Gary.

I have had a look for the unit and the only war diary I can find is at Brigade level and doesnt mention the 20th Battery specifically that I am aware of. I have been researching my great grandfather for a couple of years now and have uncovered medical records, pay records, a little bit of family history that I have become the owner of, but short of travelling to London (which i believe is where his medal card is held) I cant find a citation (if one even exists)

As a Canadian soldier, is it odd that his medal card is in the British Archive and not the Canadian Collection?

I take it that you have a copy of his service record - http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B4697-S001

Is there any information there that might help to answer your question?

All the best,

Gary

F506

If you go backwards on the LG pages using the arrows at the top of the page you may get to see the reason for the awards of the MM. Usually something like "The KIng graciously awards the Military Medal....." and there then follows a list of all winners. This Gazette might be a war's end list with a generic citation or the results of the last months of the fighting. Either way there is no specific citation for an action, which would have been Gazetted around 3 months after an event. As Gary says there might be a mention in the War Diary for 5 Brigade CFA as usually the Batteries wouldn't ordinarily have their own Diary, though some British units do have Battery pages which are collated into the main Brigade Diary if they are in action away from the main group. So any citation for the main unit will be in their Diary, if it was the practice to do that. I have found that it wasn't always the case, some are more verbose than others.

I see that Ingram died of wounds in October 1918. Just previous to this he had been on a months leave during which time he appears to have been married. Whatever he did to win the MM must have happened between his return from leave in late September and his death on 8 October (?). This would narrow down the search in the war diary.

All the best,

Gary

Waggoner

I see that some of the 5 Brigade CFA is online in archivescanada but I can only get to the end of Aug 1918. Can you see what you can do now that you know there is likely only to be a narrow few pages to look up ?

thanks for the info guys, much reading to do!

ive skimmed through the brigade diary previously, and am aware of the marriage as my grandmother was born 6 months after Percy died.