The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver John Gallagher MM - 5th Reserve Brigade RFA

flintman

Hello Forum members,

91346 Driver John Gallagher MM - 5th Reserve Brigade Royal Field Artillery

London Gazette 11/5/17

Died at home 13/4/17

( NB: I have seen an old thread re: another soldier in 5th Reserve Bde who is buried in Wolverhampton which is near to Drv Gallaghers resting place)

Can anyone please provide any further information about Driver John Gallagher and why he was awarded his Military Medal and where he was in action at the time ?

I have always assumed the action is about 3 months prior to the London Gazette date which would put it around January 1917 ? 

Unfortunately his death was about 1 month before it was announced in the LG.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to all who view and consider this entry.

Clive

• Admin
4 minutes ago, flintman said:

Hello Forum members,

91346 Driver John Gallagher MM - 5th Reserve Brigade Royal Field Artillery

London Gazette 11/5/17

Died at home 13/4/17

( NB: I have seen an old thread re: another soldier in 5th Reserve Bde who is buried in Wolverhampton which is near to Drv Gallaghers resting place)

Can anyone please provide any further information about Driver John Gallagher and why he was awarded his Military Medal and where he was in action at the time ?

I have always assumed the action is about 3 months prior to the London Gazette date which would put it around January 1917 ? 

Unfortunately his death was about 1 month before it was announced in the LG.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to all who view and consider this entry.

Clive

War Gratuity indicates 32 months qualifying war time service.

Craig

PS: I have found a newspaper article on this man stating he died of his wounds received in action on the 22nd March which suggests I maybe wrong here ! Sorry I did not include that detail.

Thanks

Clive

Hello Clive

5th Reserve Battery was a UK-based unit, to which he would have been attached for administrative purposes while in hospital at home.

Have you tried looking to see if his service record has survived (if it has, Ancestry should have it)? That will tell you which RFA Brigade he was serving with when he was wounded, and its War Diary may well mention the award of the MM - other ranks are rarely named in war diaries, but gallantry awards often get mentioned.

If his service record has not survived, then I am afraid that it is unlikely that you will be able to trace his service, and thus to find out how he earned the MM.

Ron

Hi Craig,

Thanks for that. By the way, the newspaper article does not giove any year to his wounds but I quote " Died on April 13 from wounds received in action March 22nd " so clearly that means 1917. His MM could have been earned earlier in January 1917 perhaps.

His MIC says he entered theatre of war France 3/9/15. I don't understand how a soldiers war gratuity accumulates but I imagine he may have joined up prior to embarking for France ? 

I have no experience of researching Royal Artillery records but I have tried his number via Ancestry without much success. Can I please ask you how you know about his War Gratuity and where I can find that Craig ?

Thanks

Clive  

Hi Clive,

His Soldiers' Effects record (which shows the gratuity payment in red) is here on Ancestry. It has John as "Hdqrs Staff". Forces War Records has transcribed some kind of 1917 hospital admission/discharge record that might help. Sorry I don't subscribe to that site.

Craig's website says how war gratuity payments were calculated.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Thanks Ron,

I will have another go at Ancestry and if I find him or any other information will put a further entry on the forum.

Thanks for your help.

Clive

Thanks Chris,

I have checked Ancestry for service records without success so will try Forces War Records and the soldiers effects records.

Clive    

• Admin
1 hour ago, flintman said:

Hi Craig,

Thanks for that. By the way, the newspaper article does not giove any year to his wounds but I quote " Died on April 13 from wounds received in action March 22nd " so clearly that means 1917. His MM could have been earned earlier in January 1917 perhaps.

His MIC says he entered theatre of war France 3/9/15. I don't understand how a soldiers war gratuity accumulates but I imagine he may have joined up prior to embarking for France ? 

I have no experience of researching Royal Artillery records but I have tried his number via Ancestry without much success. Can I please ask you how you know about his War Gratuity and where I can find that Craig ?

Thanks

Clive   

Chris has kindly supplied the link to my website which should give you as much as you need on the war gratuity but as a (very) quick guide - the gratuity was paid based on the length of war time service they had before they died/were discharged. They were paid a flat rate for the first 12 months and then 10s per months afterwards (5s if only on home service). The flat rate component was varied depending on rank but the monthly increments remained the same (10s/5s).

Craig

Birth place given is Seisdon Staffs. This leads to a poss record from 1911 census aged 28 working as groom in Penkridge Staffs. Another working as a servant in Staffs aged 18 in 1901 in the Wolverhampton area. An 1891 record living with his parents Thomas and Elizabeth in Seisdon. 2 medal Roll records for 14/15 Star and BW&VM. The latter Roll erroneously says he died in 1919. Nothing on MM yet

Brilliant - thanks for the information.

I have just been to local archives and pulled off a photo of a "Sergeant Gallagher" and a very brief article  entitled " The soldiers decorated at the Agricultural Hall" and which records portraits of three MM winners "decorated on Sunday". There are no initials/first name given with this paper article, or regiment and of course this is also the wrong rank (based on CWGC print out) The date of newspaper article is 24/12/17 which is over 7 months after the MM London Gazette date for Driver John Gallagher. The article makes no reference to his death and I am assuming this photo does not actually relate to our man ! I can see no badges/regimental buttons/shoulder titles in picture either. 

Driver John Gallagher is I believe commemorated inside Trysull Church and he is buried in Trysull (All Saints) and Seisdon graveyard. I will be visiting as soon as possible. His parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Gallagher of Seisdon according to Trysull cemetery records. I will review all the additional information/records provided and see where it leaves us.

All the best

Clive