Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA officers - help deciphering their names

David26

Hi Den, yes I tried Manson thanks, but I couldn't find an E D Manson, so I reckon Battiscombe's suggestion of Masson looks spot on..

David.

The war diary of 11th DAC, RFA shows Lieut. E D Masson serving with that unit which was in the same division as 58th Brigade.  Many officers transferred back and forth between DACs and brigades of the same division.  The war diary of 58th Brigade, RFA indicates that Lt F E Wallington serving with that Brigade and was wounded.

Dick,

thank you so much.  That's very helpful confirmation about Masson.  And I note that you too read #2 as F E Wallington.  As I mentioned to IPT, my only reservation is that both before and after his sole entry in the 58th Bde War Diary he is confirmed as serving in 2nd London Bde.  But I admit to not having any other possible candidates!  I just need to read that service record of his and see if it sheds light. 

David.

Pals,

Just to let you know that with your help I believe I can say with some confidence that the first five names on my list are in fact:

1.            Lt Eric Dartnell Masson,

2.            Lt Frank Edgar Wallington,

3.            2/Lt Barnaby Joseph Lanktree,

4.            A/Bdr Joseph Lipsett MM (service number 22201),

5.            Saddler Arthur G Shute (L/4744).

That just leaves me still trying to decipher the last name.  Looking through the TNA listings for all the MICs for saddlers, I found four names which I reckoned were plausible:

• Thomas Kenny (98540) who died 4 Jan 19 while serving in 66 Bde RFA and is commemorated in the Kirkee CWGC cemetery, near Poona, India;

• Ernest Reaney (1663 and 759114);

• Frederick T Robey (15930) (a saddler in 1914 with 23 Bde RFA but who later became a gunner);

• Eldred T Routley (15758) (who transferred at some point to the RGA with a new service number of 225449).

For me, the closest fit to the name in the original War Diary is Reaney, though since none of the service records of these four men survive, I guess I will never be able to confirm this for sure.

Thanks again for all your help, and the tip to look at 11 DAC War Diary has been a particularly fruitful one – I’ve found several names I hadn’t previously had.

David.