Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA officers - help deciphering their names

David26

Pals,

I have been going through the War Diaries of 58th Bde RFA and looking up what details I can of each officer and man mentioned.  There are four officers and a saddler that stump me and these are copied below.  I thought I had a fair idea of what each of these names are, but when I've tried all sorts of searches against MICs, Medal Index Rolls etc, the Gazette and TNA service records in the WO339 and WO374 I just come up with nothing that looks like any of them.  So I wondered if any of you might be able to decipher the handwriting, or already have records of any of these?

and the saddler:   where it's the second name I struggle with.  Given the writer's handwriting, the first letter could be either a K or an R.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

David.

• Admin

Hello David

No names/images appearing 

thanks Michelle 

Many apologies. 

I'll try again:

1.  Marson.jpg

2.  Wallingham.jpg

3.  Lantice 2.jpg

4.  Lipsilt.jpg

and the saddler:Romey.jpg

I hope this works this time!

David

There was a 2nd Lt. F.E. WALLINGTON 3/2nd Lon. Bde. R.F.A, reported as proceeding abroad 3/7/1917 in the No.6 Reserve Brigade war diary.

Edited by IPT

Thanks IPT.  I kept on reading it as Wallingham so it's really helpful for someone else to have a fresh look.

I've just found a service record for a 2/Lt Frank Edgar Wallington on the TNA and see that 2/Lt F E Wallington gets a mention in the Gazette as being promoted to Lt on 20 Nov 18, where he is still recorded as being in 2nd London Bde.  My man was acting as a FOO on 12 Oct 17 when he was wounded, but he still reported back to HQ to let them know what was going on before being seen to.   So if Wallington is the same man he must have been transferred from 3/2nd London Bde to 58th Bde shortly after arriving in France and then back again sometime after he was wounded.  Not impossible, I guess, especially if the wound was sufficient to get him evacuated.  (The 58th Bde War Diary sheds no further light and doesn't mention him again).  I reckon I need to take a look at that service record ...

Thanks again.

• Admin

Does # 4 read as Lipsett 

I see LIPSETT too. There are two of the name in MICs, one RGA and one RFA.

The RGA man's details Robert 110783 Gnr.

The RFA man's details Patrick 109071 Gnr RFA Base Detail Salonika. He is shown above as D/58 too (howitzers). Dis to SWB 19.4.1919.

So 3 of the guys are shown as 58 Brigade RFA. Prob the others are too ? Though Saddler Shute is attd Hussars ?

The other saddler looks like Romey/Komey, but no MICs for those names.

Edited by sotonmate

Yes I can see that now. A LOT of RFA Rooneys !

Yes I can see it, nice one!

Could be related to Lilly.

Edited by TTracer44

So many thanks to you all.

#3 - Dai Bach y Sowldiwyr and Den(TTracer44) - I hadn't spotted Langtree as a possibility, though as far as I can tell, the only Langtree who was an officer in the RFA was sadly killed before my man was mentioned in the War Diary as being posted to 58 Bde.

#4 - Michelle / sotonmate - yes, it does look like Lipsett.  I can see that in the Edinburgh J Lipsett (22201) was awarded the MM as a Cpl Signaller while serving in D/58 so that's clearly my man. 

#5 - IPT - thanks, yes that looks very promising as the right Shute; and Den (TTracer44) and sotonmate - Rooney is a possible, though I haven't yet found a Saddler Rooney.

David.

Hi David,

As you said, if he (#3) were to be a man by the name of Langtree WO 338/12/2 only seems to give the option of him being...

Langtree.jpg

who seems to have died on 3rd August 1916, serving with 159 Brigade. CWGC record here. What are the diary entry dates for the men that you are looking at?

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

David, You still have the first one to crack I believe, or have you got it, if not do you think the first letter of surname is an (m).

Den

Hi Chris,

the only mention I have of #3 is that he was posted to 58th Bde on 27 Sept 1916 from the DAC, so sadly I don't think it can be Langtree since as you say he died a few weeks before then.

David.

Hi Den,

no, I haven't yet cracked #1.  I agree - it does look like it starts with an M.  I read the entry as Lt E D Marson, but that doesn't appear to be right - there's no-one of that name in the records that I can find.  The War Diary entries for him are that he joined the Bde on 11 July 1918 from the DAC and was attached to D/58.  The only other reference is that he was sent on a 3 week FOO and Signallers course at 11 DA School on 20 Aug 18. 

David.

• Admin

# 1 E W Masson? 

Hi David,

38 minutes ago, David26 said:

the only mention I have of #3 is that he was posted to 58th Bde on 27 Sept 1916 from the DAC

32 minutes ago, David26 said:

I haven't yet cracked #1....The War Diary entries for him are that he joined the Bde on 11 July 1918 from the DAC

Might it be worth seeing if there are corresponding entries as "departures" (or earlier references that look similar/are more legible) in the DAC diary? £3.45 from the National Archives here

Regards

Chris

Number 3 could possibly be Laughton.

There are two possibles - E. B. and Dennis.

Were they brothers? Both MICs have the same York address on the back.

Phil

Hi Battiscombe,

I think you've got it.  The second initial is definitely a D - the writer had a very distinctive way of writing a capital D.  And E D Masson was promoted to Lt on 1st July 17 and stayed in that rank until he resigned his commission in 1919, so that all fits well with what information is in the WD.  Thank you!

Hi Chris,

that's a good idea.  Thanks.

And Phil, thanks for that - Laughton is a definite possibility.     

I'm really grateful for all this help,

David.

Edited by David26
adding extra note of thanks