Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Twanky Tweddle

mark.topham

Hello All

I include a photo of my great granddad Sergeant Jack Twanky Tweddle he is the chap with the spiffing mustache.  Behind him is Corporal George Thompson (the real War Horse?).  The picture was taken early 1918 just before the retreat.  He is wearing the ribbons of MM and DCM and he served with the 7th Pioneer Battalion DLI.

He also served with Captain Vaux as part of the machine gun detachment in South Africa 1900 - 01 which resulted in Vaux brewing the Maxim beer which later became the Double Maxim beer which when in production was held in greater regard (national publicity campaigns aside) than Newcastle Brown Ale.  As part of the detachment Twanky was awarded the freedom of the Borough of Sunderland and his name is recorded in brass on a plaque in the civic center to this day.

Where as Thompson worked in the fermenting room Twanky was a senior dray man for the brewery and ended his days as the foreman.

A family story is told that at some point possibly in the Boer War Twamky saved Captain Vaux's life and such had a special relationship with both the owner of the brewery and his Commanding officer which manifested itself as an unlimited access to a beer allowance from the brewery.

I have his spurs wihch bear the inscription 3rd N EN RFA Bde numbers 1365 stamped over 694

Beyond this information I know nothing of his service his medals having been sold by his estranged wife in the 1930s when times were hard.

I do have his medal card but can anyone shed any light on his service or the markings on the spurs

ddli000707000031_461w-461x291.jpg

Bom T

You didn't give details of the medal card but I've come across two:

1. Sgt J Tweddle 7th DLI no. 2613 - date of entry into France 17.4.15 (this doesn't specify medals - perhaps meant to be 1914/15 Star?)

2. Sgt John Tweddle 7th DLI no. 2612 and Royal Fusiliers 125457 - no date of entry - (Victory and British War Medals)

There's a Royal Fusiliers medal roll for Sgt John Tweddle GS/125457 - in the 43rd Battalion (see here), formerly 2612 DLI. There's also a 1914/15 medal roll for L/Cpl J Tweedle 2612 DLI with an entry date of 19.4.15, presently a Sgt in the RF 125457.

With ref. to the RFA - there's a 1914/15 Star medal roll with Driver (Saddler crossed out) R B Tweddle - service no. 694.....

Was there a brother?

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your response and have added a couple of lines of investigation for me.  I have the first medal card didn't know about second but will look into it.  However, timings of first card match that of Twanky (entry into France) and I don't think he transferred to R. Fusiliers but service numbers look very close.

According to Thompson's diary (which doesn't mention many people by name) 'the old' Sergeant of the transport section did move on to other pastures but will have to read again to see if where is mentioned.

As for a brother don't really know but may explain why a Sargent in the transport section 7th Durham's is wearing a pair of RFA spurs

Thanks

Bom T

The details i have on the 7th Bn (gathered whilst I was researching the 6th) would show that the #2613 was allocated between 6 & 8th Sept 1914.

17 April 1915 as a  date of entry would indicate a man in the  7th's MG or Transport Section as they went ahead by a day or so from the main battalion so this would tie in with 1) possibly being the correct man.

I have transcribed the war diary to Nov 15 as part of my work along the way - https://7thdurhamlightinfantry.wordpress.com/page/33/

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

The Sunderland Daily Echo of 11 Jun 1901  which is on FindMyPAst 

Shows that they went our as the Durham Volunteer Artillery under Major (sic) Vaux and your man was a driver - where the spurs come in maybe

Vaux was with the 5th Imperial Yeomanry in the Boer War so I'd guess from the medal records that #9997 J Tweddle of 15th Squadron is your man.

Craig

How about

twaddle.jpg

Did Jack have a brother or a relation called Robert Bowdell Tweddle ? - There was a #694 R B Tweddle who served with one of the Northumbrian Brigades of the RFA. Is that perhaps who's spurs they are ?

Craig

I've found his MM entry in the London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29805/supplement/10485 as highlighted by corisade in post #7 above, but searching Tweddle, Twaddle, Tweddel, Twaddel, Weddle and Waddle from 1898 to 1923 I can find no sign of a DCM for him, are  you certain he was awarded a DCM?

Sam

Yes, that LG gives 2612 as his service no

Like roughdiamind, I have searched for a DCM and failed

Can you post a close up of the medal ribbon bar that you think shows DCM

Hello

Craig  Sam and Corisande

Well what can I  say absolutely fantastic.  Will follow links to fill in gaps that I have.

Twanky did serve with the Imperial Yeomanry as the Freedom of the Borough states his unit.  His close links to Vaux made him an obvious volunteer to go outy with the 7th and he was in the transport section which matches the number.

As far as the family know he took out choice animals from the Vaux stables but unlike literature and a popular movies not many returned home though he was an experienced and well respected member of the Vaux brewery workforce.

The mention of a brother is intriguing as I know nothing about the family beyond the odd stories my grandfather told before his death.  Maybe a bit of local studies research is required.

Thanks again especially for the medal citation as I had searched in vain for this.  As for the DCM it is family folkloreas his medals are long since gone however, on an enlargement of the above photo Twanky is wearing two ribbons one is a MM the other has the colour shading of the DCM? But Queens boer war medal has similar appearance especially in a grainy black and white photo i.e. light dark light bands.

Thanks Again

Bom T

For interest here is the Imperial Machine gun detachment I know out of scope for this forum but Twanky is in slouch hat rear row on Vaux's right

On the Freeman plaque he is recorded as Trooper John Tweddle of the Imperial Yeomanry and is dated 19 June 1901

Bom T

League History-30.jpg

Edited by mark.topham

Had another look on Ancestry and found a 3rd card http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=MedalRolls&gss=sfs28_ms_r_db&new=1&rank=1&MS_AdvCB=1&_F00061C3=durham light infantry&_F00061C3_x=1&_F8007A65=2612&_F8007A65_x=1&MSAV=2&uidh=qoe with his name incorrectly listed by them as Twaddle but the card clearly states Tweddle, this is for a Mentioned in Dispatches MiD, it is correctly listed by the National Archives as Tweddle.

Looking at the Medal Cards on the National Archives he has 4 MIC's listed, one linked to above as 2612 Cpl J. Tweddle  in the "MiD, MSM and TFEM file", one as 2612 Sjt DLI and GS/125457 Sjt RF John Tweddle in the "Service Medals and Awards rolls index" which is his War and Victory Medals, one for 2613 Sjt J. Tweddle 7th DLI with his entry date of 17/04/15 which is also listed as "Service Medals and Awards rolls index" and seems to be for his 1914-15 Star and a 4th which is almost certainly for his MM is for 2612 Cpl J. Tweddle and is listed in the "DCM and MM file", this is not on Ancestry however if you want an image of this, you can order it from the National Archives from the link in the image for £3.45.

There is no 5th card which would be for a DCM.

If he's wearing only 2 medal ribbons and the photo's dated 1918, one should be the MM and the other the Queen's South Africa (QSA) medal, if he'd completed 18 months he'd also have a King's South Africa (KSA), but as you reckon there's only 2 in the photo, he probably didn't qualify for the KSA.

Sam

Edited by roughdiamond

Hi Sam

Thanks for that.  Have tried to upload an enlargement of photo but not too technical haha.  He is definitely wearing two ribbons but if it were the MM and DCM where is his Queen's Boer war medal which he was entitled to wear and would have worn.  So it maybe the second medal IS the Queen's medal and not a DCM so much for family folk lore.

However, the information all the responses I have had has been brilliant.  I will try and find out about a brother as that would make sense as to why he had the spurs.

Thanks

Bom T

Edited by mark.topham

Bom T

Very simple answer about the spurs, the RFA did not have motor vehicles, their guns and ammunition were pulled by Horses and the rank of "Driver", the equivalent of Gnr (Gunner) if he operated the Guns or Pte (Private) in the Infantry. The Driver would ride and guide the Horses pulling the Guns, hence the spurs. so they belong to what looks like John's Brother 694 Dvr R B Tweddle as identified by Langdon in post #2, I reckon he has a 2nd MIC on Ancestry as 4231 later 751231 Cpl Robert B Tweddle RFA which is for the War and Victory Medals.

Sam

Edited by roughdiamond

• Admin

There is a DCM citation to a Pte Thomas Tweddle of Spennymoor with the six digit number 201749 (5th DLI) on Ancestry here

previously 3959 6th Bn. DLI. Perhaps that's where the family story came from, is he a relative? The award is dated September 1918 so couldn't be the ribbon in 'early 1918'.

Ken

Can't see the ribbons clearly enough, but the answer may well be in the "order of wear". The DCM would be nearest the centre of the chest and the MM nearest to his shoulder. If the "mystery medal" is a Queens South Africa then the MM would be nearest to the centre of the chest and the QSA nearest to his shoulder.

The DCM has a ribbon of 3 equal stripes in Maroon/Navy/Maroon. The QSA has 5 stripes, orange in the centre, narrow black either side, and then slightly wider (than the black) red stripes which go out to both edges. Beware the KSA, another Boer War medal, which has 3 equal stripes of green/white/orange. As a campaign medal however the Kings South Africa would be worn in the same position as the QSA relative to the MM.

Hope that helps,

Mike

I don't have a subscription to Ancestry, but looking at the Medal Rolls and entering the details in post #6 by sso02d6252 "9997 J. Tweddle seems to have 2 Boer War entries suggesting he has a KSA and QSA. Maybe you can check Bom T.

If he is then in that case I'm a bit confused, If he has both I'd expect him to wear both preceeded by the MM which again I'd expect him to be wearing, are you certain there's only 2 ribbons?

Sam

15 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

I don't have a subscription to Ancestry, but looking at the Medal Rolls and entering the details in post #6 by sso02d6252 "9997 J. Tweddle seems to have 2 Boer War entries suggesting he has a KSA and QSA. Maybe you can check Bom T.

If he is then in that case I'm a bit confused, If he has both I'd expect him to wear both preceeded by the MM which again I'd expect him to be wearing, are you certain there's only 2 ribbons?

Sam

1 sheet is for his QSA, the other is for the clasps - medal roll states not eligible for the KSA.

Craig

I think has to be the QSA especially if MM ribbon is first on the row & nearest the buttons. Quite an interesting story of his service & his relationship to the brewery owner! Thanks for posting.

12 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

1 sheet is for his QSA, the other is for the clasps - medal roll states not eligible for the KSA.

Craig

Cheers Craig, that clears that up, so MM and QSA it should be.

Sam

J Tweddle is remembered on  War memorials in a form of a list of names on a Roll of Honour, http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10785  page 322 and http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10169  page 45.  The 5th Imperial book was written by some one who served in the 5th Imperial Yeomanry, Carl Spurgin, in the book is  a list of the soldiers who were there. Note that Tweddle was in the Maxim Gun Detachment. Also see http://www.angloboerwar.com/name-search for a detailed history of the unit.

What also is interesting that in Newcastle there is  J Tweddle who's father is a MR Jos Tweddle  see http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8316 again another  War Memorial, who is indicated that he is a Corporal In the Royal Fusiliers. And he is remembered in Sunderland quite correctly at the Civic centre http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=9470. If you would like his story added to our Every name a Story, BOM T we would be most pleased to host the story for you.

Regards

Jim

NEWMP PROJECT RESEARCHER

On 11/23/2016 at 00:54, jampas said:

J Tweddle is remembered on  War memorials in a form of a list of names on a Roll of Honour, http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10785  page 322 and http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10169  page 45.  The 5th Imperial book was written by some one who served in the 5th Imperial Yeomanry, Carl Spurgin, in the book is  a list of the soldiers who were there. Note that Tweddle was in the Maxim Gun Detachment. Also see http://www.angloboerwar.com/name-search for a detailed history of the unit.

What also is interesting that in Newcastle there is  J Tweddle who's father is a MR Jos Tweddle  see http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8316 again another  War Memorial, who is indicated that he is a Corporal In the Royal Fusiliers. And he is remembered in Sunderland quite correctly at the Civic centre http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=9470. If you would like his story added to our Every name a Story, BOM T we would be most pleased to host the story for you.

Regards

Jim

NEWMP PROJECT RESEARCHER

Hi Jim

Thanks for your input absolutely brilliant

Sorry in delay in replying but on shift last four days

If you could include him that would be fantastic 

again thanks

Bom T

Hello All Have tried to enlarge the image as I'm not very technical this is best I have been able to manage.  Using a magnifying glass brings out the ribbons better.

Thanks

Bom T

Warhorse.jpg.gallery.jpg

P.S. Have made some investigations into military awards regarding the order Twanky would have worn his medals and it would have been DCM (level 2B) the MM (level 3B) then campaign medals.  So if he had been awarded the DCM it would have been first  in order (even if it had beed awarded after the MM) followed by MM then campaign medal.  So as he is wearing only two ribbons and the MM is first in order then the second ribbon must be a campaign medal and the QSA is the most likley candidate.  But thanks for all the help you have given me a lot more to go on for Twanky which is what I had hoped for thanks.

Bom T

Edited by mark.topham

Dear Bom T

Thanks for replying.

Don't worry about the photograph, I already have a copy Thank you. To save duplicate cross researching, can you supply what details you already have on him, And will add your credit details to when we do the story if that's OK.

please email james@newmp.org.uk and I will as soon as possible put him in on our site, if that is OK.

Regards

Jim

NEWMP PROJECT RESEARCHER