Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adanac Military Cemetery - Joseph Stokes

Simon_Fielding

Anyone help with a photo of Joe's stone?

Adanac Military Cemetery, near Miraumont,

IV. H. 17.

Thanks!

Captain, JP Blake:
It is with very deep sorrow and regret that I have to inform you of the death of your son,
Private Joseph Stokes, of this regiment. He was killed in action on the night of 4th
November by a shell, during a bombardment of our lines. He was buried close to where
he fell, and his grave has been marked. I find it very hard to express my sympathy with
you in your terrible loss. It may console you in some small measure to know that he
was killed instantaneously, and died doing his duty as a soldier. He was a good man
and a good soldier, and will be greatly missed by myself and his comrades, who had a
great affection for him. Although he had only been with us for a short time, in my
position as officer commanding his company, I had come to know him as a brave man,
who set a good example by his determination.1
His platoon Sergeant H Russell also wrote:
I cannot of course, tell you exactly where he fell, but may say that it was in front of a
village until quite recently occupied by the enemy. He was on a bombing post some
considerable distance in front of the main part of the platoon, and directly supporting a
Lewis gun team. Both our own and the enemy’s artillery had been active all day, and
towards evening their shelling became so heavy that I myself thought they were
preparing an attack, but after a short time things became much quieter – in fact normal.
It appears that your son had just been sent down the trench to report to the Lewis
gunners and was returning when a light shell entered the trench, exploding just behind
him. A fragment caught him in the small of the back, and word being immediately sent
up to me that he was wounded, he was found in the trench a few minutes later.
However, before either the stretcher-bearers or myself arrived he had breathed his last.
You will be glad to know he suffered no pain at all, and he was buried just beside the
trench, a small cross marking the grave. His personal belongings were collected and
have perhaps already reached you. I may say he was one of the most reliable and
cheery men and he was very generally missed in the platoon. I trust this letter will prove
some comfort to you in your loss.

Morning John,

Can I be rude and also ask for just 1 please while you are there, if that is OK

Charles Edgar Holton SMITH in Grave VI.F.15

many thanks,

Graeme

59 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

Simon

I am going that way this afternoon and will get the photograph for you

regards

John

That would be very kind of you John thank you! 

Simon

Headstone image as requested.  It is hosted on Flickr so you should be able to download. Any problems or you would like a larger image please send me an email address and I'll  get it over to you.

Kind regards

John

30743409620_96ff85ae05_k.jpg

Graeme

You can be as rude as you like, no problem.

Headstone image as requested.  It is hosted on Flickr so you should be able to download. Any problems or you would like a larger image please send me an email address and I'll  get it over to you.

Kind regards

John31110341755_52a5342d99_k.jpg

Thank you Simon for the request, Adanac Cemetery looked rather special today.

-

I was rather lucky with the weather as the images show..

Regards

John

31110344475_b88c3e81b4_k.jpg

30303730273_2752795782_k.jpg

Beautiful images-thanks so much. 

Thanks from all of us in adanaC!

Can anyone give an origin for Captain Smith's epitaph? Something to do with contempt for his second love??

seaJane? Any ideas?

Edited by Simon_Fielding

Beautiful photos John, the light is perfect and they have real atmosphere as ever.

Pete.

Any leads on the epitaph? 

aliorum diligens sui contemptor 

• 1 year later...

Graeme

I just came across this thread while following up the inscription on Smith's headstone. I don't know if you got a translation at the time, but I think it means something like:

Careful of others, unheeding of his own interests (or, he put the lives of others before his own). A good epitaph for a doctor.

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

Very good photographs..... and someone who knows how to take a real quality photo of a headstone