Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ashworth Barracks/ramparts Doncaster

BIFFO

I have just returned from a short break”up north” I wanted to see what sort of a job Ashworth barracks museum had made of the ex-Ypres ramparts collection. my first surprise it isn’t a barracks its an ex school, when we went in the first thing we were told was half the ramparts exhibition had been removed to the owners private ww1 museum, as the staff said they are his “toys” so he can do as he pleases . I must say we had a two hour guided tour, which was mostly very good, after seeing the collection originally at the lille gate, lots of rare artefacts were on display, at Doncaster only a few are on show, I suppose the owner, as is his prerogative  has taken the pick of the crop.

So if you were thinking of going to see the collection, I should go pdq as more will probably “go”.

f.a.o  DF im pleased to say nearly the same as ramparts ypres,NO BUTTONS TO PRESS,no interactive

c+++

While “up north” we visited the royal armouries, now if you want to see a cold, stark exhibition this is the place,ok a live combat demonstration was held. mind a weapon is cold and stark, I must say in the WW1 exhibition as with the rest of the museum they had on show weapons, what did surprise me as it is a “recent”conflict few personnel items,on show, other than a few trios .

Mind this is only my opinion and what do I know, I do know I will NOT revisit Ashworth,but I will revisit” up north” as the people are so friendly, unlike  we southerners  

sorry unable to turn photos so you will have to tip your head like a silly Bu++++

ramparts 3.jpg

Edited by BIFFO

ramparts 2a.jpg

I went there last year, before the former Ramparts Museum exhibits were completed.

I thought that it was pretty good, and I have it in my list for a further visit in the future. I was shown around by Forum Pal Auchonvillerssomme who was very helpful. I haven't seen him on here for a while, though, so I don't know whether he can give us an update on the progress with the museum?

As I say I wouldn't visit again, I know the vc trust runs on volunteers, our guide did a good job, BUT when it says vc trust museum, I expected a bit more than photos and explanations of their actions. I mistakenly thought Ashworth was the Ashcroft VC collection, which I have later found to be held at the IWM..As to the ramparts as I say anyone wanting to see better be quick before more goes west.. Now in no way am I knocking the museum or its volunteers, its just not what I expected :wub:

Biffo :poppy:

I have absolutely no idea what you're discussing: I assume Ashworth is in Nottinghamshire but what the 'Ashworth Barracks Museum' is I am afraid I don't know. Could someone perhaps post a link to a website or similar, please?

www.ashworthbarracks.co.uk

BROOMERS its in Doncaster closed on wed(as I found out):angry2:

Biffo

Edited by BIFFO

Ta

I'm a volunteer and guide at Ashworth Barracks Museum, I wasn't there when Biffo visited, but I'm sorry you were dissappointed as will be the other guides. We would certainly be interested in what visitors think is missing from the WW1 section, we have tried to make it as comprehensive as possible, many items are from our own collections.

I obviously can't comment on the specifics of the visit, I'm not part of the management team, everyone has their own expectations, but what I will say is that Tripadvisor has 277 reviews of these

256 are 5 star,

17 are 4 star.

Only four reviewers have given 3 stars, one of those didn't even go into the museum (his satnav couldn't find us and he didn't check the opening times, which are clearly advertised on the website). 

The Ashworth Barracks Facebook page has other positive reviews. I am aware that not many of you take much notice of those reviews, you want to make up your own minds, but when they are taken as the only public measure of performance it is worth reading them.

Nowhere does it claim to be part of or hint at any connection with the Ashcroft Collection. The link to The Victoria Cross is that monies raised and contributions go to the Victoria Cross Trust, we restore the final resting places of VC recipients not in the care of the CWGC. 

Mick

Hello Mick,if you read my post number 4 you will see I say "Now in no way am I knocking the museum or its volunteers," :wub:

I also say " I mistakenly thought Ashworth was the Ashcroft VC collection,",I know the museum never implied it was any thing to do with the Ashcroft,thats why I said "I mistakenly"

one of the reasons I will not be revisiting?,I live nearly 200 miles away,btw I will also not be revisiting the royal armouries,I may revisit Doncaster market cos they "do"good black pudding,:thumbsup:

hear endeth the reply

Biffo

Biffo   If you do revisit up t'North please try the York & Lancs museum in Rotherham.

The volunteers from the Ashworths Barracks recently did a WW1 training camp re-enactment in Clifton Park Rotherham near the museum.

Thanks for the tip,I thought the koyli`s museum was part of Doncaster museum?

at the moment I am sot of planning a trip to Ypres, to poss meet my Australian pen friend, for family reasons we haven't been "over there"for three years, so lots of planning and meet another old friend.

As I say we couldn't get over how friendly people were, I became lost in Doncaster and would you believe I asked a chap directions expecting a southern  f++ o++ the chap gave me the correct directions :D

Biffo

Correct KOYLI museum is in Doncaster.  York & Lancs museum as I said is in Rotherham.

Yes we have museums up t'North :o and the chaps and chapesses are generally friendly even to Southeners ;). Assuming you find an English speaker.

Edited by Ellis1918

. Assuming you find an English  :D say no more,:devilgrin:

Translation - in't meaning in the -  t' meaning the

Thank you for correcting me Muerrisch :(

My favourites are -  It isn't in the tin  -  tintintin  or  I was on my own -  I wa wimi sen

But should it be worse ? And not worst ?

• 1 year later...

Any pals been to Ashworth recently?

I will be in the area next month and was thinking of a visit, particularly interested in how much of the bits from 'Ramparts' are actually on display.