Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembrance Commemorations 2016

squirrel

Finished writing up my notes from a visit to Belgium and France with friends for the Remembrance Commemorations – here’s where we went:

Thursday 10th November  - Lincolnshire to Dover – Calais to Ypres

Menin Gate Last Post Ceremony – wreath laid on behalf of the Regimental Association.

Friday 11th November - Vichte for Remembrance Day commemorations, church service, war memorial and Vichte British Cemetery, reception and lunch.

Pictures attached:

The Belgian Veterans standard and the Union flag in the church at Vichte.

Me carrying the Union Flag in the parade wearing my uncle's WW1 and WW2 medals.

Remembrance Concert St Martin’s Cathedral. 

Saturday 12th November – Ypres to Cambrai

Ypres Town Cemetery

White House Farm Cemetery

Bethleem Farm East Cemetery

Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery (my uncle)

Canada Farm Cemetery

Gwahlia Farm Cemetery

Godewaersvelde Cemetery

Bailleuil Communal Cemetery

Bruay Communal Cemetery

Filleveres British Cemetery

NovemberthSunday 13

Thiepval Memorial

51st Highland Division commemorations 13th November 1916 Beaumont Hamel village war memorial

Roye New British Cemetery

Becourt British Cemetery

Guards Cemetery les Bouefs

Caterpiller Valley Cemetery

Louverval Memorial

White House Cemetery

Monday 14th November

Courgies Communal Cemetery

Crossroads Cemetery Fontaine au Bois

Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension

Jeancourt East British Cemetery

Templeux le Guerard British Cemetery

Sunken Road Cemetery Villers Pluich

then back to Lincolnshire. Calais - Ferry to Dover

Belgian veterans standard and the Union Flag.jpg

Standard bearer.jpg

Edited by squirrel

I can only imagine the emotion, all the chat, the surprises, (and the beer), as you visited each cemetery and paid your respects at the Remembrance Commemoratrions.

Thank you for posting, those 2 photos say much.

Cheers

Shirley

Well done Tony, not sure where you get your energy from! Must have been very moving.

Tony

Tony

Looks like an interesting and very full trip.

Sorry if I have missed earlier topics but what is the connection with Vichte and is there a special reason why the event taking place there?

Cheers

Neil

Neil - the village, Vichte in the commune of Anzeghem, hold their Remembrance Day parade every year. My friend's uncle is buried in the British Cemetery there -  he has been going there on Remembrance Day for over 20 years; next year will be my 10th year there .

Shirley & Tony - at times, very moving, emotional, sad, proud...meeting with old friends and meeting new ones, drinks and meals, seeing things that you have seen before in a different way, seeing places you haven't seen before, trying to understand why others ideas of Remembrance don't seem to be the same as yours...enjoying the company of Belgian and French people who attend some of these ceremonies. Enjoying the hospitality and welcome at hotels, restaurants and shops where you have been going for a number of years...At Beaumont Hamel enjoying the 15 year old single malt supplied FOC by one of the Scottish distilleries.

Above all, honouring those who didn't come home, those who did and all those who served, military and civilian.

Edited by squirrel

Thanks Tony, you describe so well the experience of a battlefield trip, each day lived to the full.  I recognise a few of the cemeteries you visited.

On a slightly different note I am always interested when I see 51st Highland Division, as my dad went into Alamein with the tanks, supported by the 51st, but this is off topic!  

The Beaumont Hamel area and surrounding battlefields have a very particular haunting quality I have found. 

Are you writing up notes for a book or articles?

Cheers

Shirley

Shirley,

I just keep a note of cemeteries visited and those remembered -  I have the CWGC list of all the casualties of the one regiment that I make a point of following.I am not academic enough for writing a book although I did attempt a novel once, not completed and the result being in a filing cabinet for some years now along with the poetry....

Edited by squirrel