Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front Map

petet

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a single decent map which just shows all the frontlines during 1917-1918.

My aim is to overlay a single map over Google Earth (with the appropriate frontline shown [all others edited out]) and then plot where No 35 Squadron was based in relation to the frontline at that time.

I recognise that there are 1000's of maps, but I don't seem to be able to find a decent map which provides the complete line, thereby enabling me to produce a series of maps all with the same look and feel.

I am sure there must be something out there to save me starting from scratch but at the moment I am struggling to find it (other than a BBC animation) 

Any thoughts

Regards

Pete

Pete

have you tried

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=11&lat=50.8300&lon=2.9814&layers=168&b=1

you can use a slider to vary translucency, zoom in and out etc

regards

Jon

Jon

Thanks for the response.

I looked through but couldn't find a single map with all the frontlines on.

All the maps appear to be trench maps at certain dates and therefore are at too low a level for my needs. 

I need a single map of France / Belgium, with a dotted line showing the front line (with a date), then a dashed line showing the next front line (with a date), then a dot-dash line showing the next front line (with a date) etc etc . The dates could be the start or the finish of a particular battle but the map can't focus on a particular battle area as the squadrons moved to new locations during each battle and these places are normally off the close up maps (hence the need for a map that shows the complete line).

I hope I am making sense ..... 

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

This may not be the solution to your request, but just in case you aren't aware of them, Great War Digital produce Linesman in various forms - these are comprehensive maps of the Western Front. You might find something here which will help/interest you.

William

May be worth a look on the Pinterest website, but it may take some searching to find exactly what you require, there are hundreds on there.

https://uk.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=western front line map&rs=typed&term_meta[]=western|typed&term_meta[]=front|typed&term_meta[]=line|typed&term_meta[]=map|typed

Western Front.JPG

Is it something along the lines of these that you are looking for? These are Western front overview maps (various dates) from the German, Austro-Hungarian, French and British Official Histories (Images heavily scaled down and reduced to get them on this forum!) ...

Dave

(8) March 19 1917.jpg

Edited by CROONAERT

(9)  July-Nov 1918 (A-H History).jpg

30 June 1916.jpg

French Nov 1 1917.jpg

Nothing like the quality of Dave's, as this example was photographed at the National; Archives at Kew (not an easy task). It was tucked away in amongst a load of other situation maps probably in WO 153. Unfortunately, I didn't reference it at the time - a lesson I learnt the hard way.

Phil

Disposition Map 15 Aug 1917.jpg

Thanks to all for your time and effort on this; it is very much appreciated.

Lots of potential options, but the second map in Post 7 appears to be closest to my needs at the moment; Are there identical maps to cover the movements in the line during 1917 - 1918?

Regards

Pete