Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peter McNulty & John McNulty...

russellf97

This is just me being pedantic...

A couple of years ago I was following a two threads on here (138311 & 142687) which dealt with two men named McNulty.

Peter McNulty was a trimmer on the Lusitania and went down with her when she was torpedoed. He originally joined the army in 1899, fought in South Africa but was medically discharged in 1901.

John McNulty joined the RND in December 1914, fought in Gallipoli and died of dysentery on Lemnos in November 1915. From his service record, he seems to have had a pretty rough time of it being treated for a gsw and being hit by shrapnel before getting the dysentery that killed him.

I left it at the time because there was a bit of doubt and confusion (to me anyway) over whether they were brothers (and at the time I thought they were), but after recently doing a moderate bit of ferreting through the Irish records I think it's safe to say they weren't.

My reasoning is...

On Peter's Army attestation form, he names several of his siblings, these correspond with the children of Bernard & Sarah McNulty in Edenappa, Jonesborough, in the 1901 Ireland census. Also in that census, Bernard and Sarah have a 13-year-old son named John. I've come across parents who named a couple of their children John & Jonathon, but to have two sons named John would probably have been a tad confusing.

John McNulty's NOK address is Sheetrim near Creggan, which is about 8 miles west of Jonesborough, so I think it's reasonable to presume that although both fathers are named Bernard, they are two separate families. Peter being the son of Bernard and Sarah, and, plausibly, John being the son of Bernard and Catherine.

My interest in all this is through Peter McNulty's wife, Ethel. One of her children, Evan, married one of my mother's sisters.  PM me if you would like details of Peter's or John's service docs or the wider McNulty family.

• 1 year later...

Hi Russel 

I’m new on here, came across your posts via google whilst doing my familes ancestry. 

Eithel White, my great grandma married Peter Mcnulty then married my great grandfather (Yanto) Evan Thomas Jenkins. 

They had two children my grandmother Gladys Jenkins and Herbert Jenkins. 

Gladys was my paternal grandmother. 

I’m confused who Evan is? Can u please clarify? 

Many thanks 

Jules 

• 5 years later...

Hi @john0761 and a belated welcome to the forum.

@russellf97 hasn't been on the forum since February 2021, but hopefully that shout out will alert him to your post - if he is still using the e-mail that he signed up to the forum with.

Meanwhile here's a link to the thread he referenced

Cheers,
Peter

Here I am!!

Hi john0761,

If you've read my post about the McNultys, then there's not too much more I can add.

Peter's parents were Bernard & Sarah (surname unknown atm). Bernard born c.1856 & Sarah c.1862 and they married c.1878. There were 9 known children; Peter, Stephen c.1883, John c.1888, Rose c.1891, Elllen c.1894, Bridget c.1897, Sarah c.1899, Margaret c.1902, Theresa c.1905. The foregoing cull from the 1901 & 1911 censuses. Bernard seems to have died between 1905 & 1911, because in 1911 Sarah is recorded as head of the family. Sarah possibly/probably died Q4 1917 . There's a death record for a 55-year-old Sarah McNulty in Newry district that could be her. There are also death records for a Bridget (age 17) and a Sarah McNulty (age 14) both in Q3 1913, Newry district.

I found three children for Peter & Ethel; Mary Ann Q3 1909-Q3 1909, Mary Winifred (21/03/1913-Q1 1986) (married Frank Albert Wheeler 1935 Fulham), Sarah Elizabeth (07/11/1914) (Two possible marriages:  Sarah E McNulty = George Rhodie 1943 Q2 Northumberland South 10B 594  or  Sarah E McNulty = William H Freeman 1951 Q1 Northampton 3B 1720. There doesn't seem to be an obvious birth record for Stephen though.

In 1939 Evan (27/01/1894) & Ethel (25/12/19) are living at 38 Gresham St, Coventry with Herbert (03/12/1926) & 'Betty' . 

Hope this helps...

Phil