Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bawtree Ivan L Collection

laughton

Good links and that is a haunting picture - I wonder if it was intentional or a processing error?

The book is available for pre-order in Canada as well - I just placed my order: CND$66.65

Amazon.ca Book

Does anyone know who the other 2 Official Photographers were and if there are collections of their photographs as well?

Edited by laughton
added question

If so, what is that major structure in the background? The trench maps do show something at 28.D.17.a.60.35 but I had always assumed that was a major trench structure. Perhaps it is what  you have shown in this photograph?

I have seen the photo before and I believe it is Tyne Cot cemetery and the large bunker in the picture is where the cross of sacrifice was placed upon 

16 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

I have seen the photo before and I believe it is Tyne Cot cemetery and the large bunker in the picture is where the cross of sacrifice was placed upon 

Yes you are spot on. 

Barbara,  IWM have the bulk of Ivan's photos printed in 3 thick albums - 200 in each. All the photos have captions, but only one album's worth has been captioned on the digital content.  I had to go to IWM and write down all the captions myself!

Laughton, the other two professional photographers who were hired by the Graves Registration Commision were Albert Haddon and Frederick Roper. There is no known collection of photos relating to either of them, though since their photos were sent to relatives some may exist individually in private collections. Ivan talks about them a lot and there are photos of them in my book. 

Found Tyne Cot when looking for last photo. reference.

Initially interested in Grave Markers I have enjoyed seeing the photographs reflecting on how life and homes were being rebuilt - e.g. Plain d'Amour, Ypres - M. Bove and his family at Estaires 'they had to flee in 1918...they returned and patched up one room of their ruined farm'. The Corpus Christi procession in Poperinghe - The German POW's orchestra and their cigar box violins - the Charcoal drawing in the Asylum in Ypres by unknown artist of the Royal Artillery - and 'Joby'.

Really looking forward to your first(?) book.

Thank you for all your hard work Jeremy.

Edited by BarbaraG

On 5/2/2017 at 03:01, BarbaraG said:

Started a new thread 'Other photographers....'

which is here: Other Photographers

On 5/1/2017 at 22:57, thetrenchrat22 said:

So that would be here:

CWGC Photograph

http://www.cwgc.org/dbImage.ashx?id=17136

From looking at the site plan, that would appear to be correct as the main entrance is on the Zonnebeke-Passchendaele Road (which runs north and south) and the Great Cross is at the east side of the cemetery. There are a slew of other blocks between the War Stone and the Great Cross - not sure if those are related to the bunker, but I bet someone who has been there knows!

On 5/3/2017 at 00:07, BarbaraG said:

Found Tyne Cot when looking for last photo. reference.

Initially interested in Grave Markers I have enjoyed seeing the photographs reflecting on how life and homes were being rebuilt - e.g. Plain d'Amour, Ypres - M. Bove and his family at Estaires 'they had to flee in 1918...they returned and patched up one room of their ruined farm'. The Corpus Christi procession in Poperinghe - The German POW's orchestra and their cigar box violins - the Charcoal drawing in the Asylum in Ypres by unknown artist of the Royal Artillery - and 'Joby'.

Really looking forward to your first(?) book.

Thank you for all your hard work Jeremy.

Yes the photos cover an interesting range of themes. Photographing the Fallen is my first book, but I do have two more in the pipeline... one of which is about Ivan's sister Viola who left box loads of diaries and journals - so I'm attempting to put something together with her material that covers both world wars (some of it features in PTF). 

Hi Jeremy, I live in Bawtree Close and Clapham Lodge where Ivan and Viola lived is opposite my house. Do you know roughly when the book of Viola's diaries and journals might be published ?  My grandmother who died many years ago used to go to Clapham Lodge in W.W.1  where a group of ladies used to knit stuff for the troops.

I have the copy of 'Warriors at Home 1940 - 42 Three Surrey Diaries '  which includes Violas diary entries for that period and makes for fasicnating reading and I'm sure the earlier diaries would also.

Regards, Roger.

Edited by Paddy 60th
grammatical error !

Hi Roger thanks for getting in touch - how great that your family has been connected with Ivan and Viola. I'd be interested to hear more about what your grandmother did at Clapham Lodge during WW1 - might be helpful for the book. I haven't secured a publisher for the book thus far. I've done a significant amount of it, but still loads of work to do on it and it's a bit on the backburner at the moment... I hope to get it published in the next 2 years or so... Glad you found her writing fascinating. 

• 5 months later...

My book about Ivan Bawtree's work during WW1 is now available and I'll be giving a talk with small exhibition in Twickenham on Friday 10th November (see below). All are welcome!

Hi Jeremy, I have recently got my copy of your book and it's a really good read. Thanks for your efforts in bringing Ivan's work to the current generation and I thoroughly recommended it.

I  have just realised that I didn't reply to your post of the 5th May and must apologise. I'm afraid that I can't really tell you any more regarding my Gran's activities at Clapham Lodge during the war as she didn't really say much about it apart from the fact that she used  to walk up  to the house with her sister. They both lived about a mile and a half away in Sutton and the walk would have been mainly across farmland at that time. Not such open country now !

My Gran married a Canadian soldier in 1919 and he died in 1922 as a result of his wounds received in the war. Her sister also lost her husband during the war. He was killed in action in 1917.

Regards, Roger

Edited by Paddy 60th
wrong date shown

Hi Roger, good to hear you enjoyed my book. I'm really pleased with how it's come out. Thanks for the details about your family - interesting to know. I've got photos of the area around Clapham Lodge going back 100 years when it was open countryside. I was there a few weeks ago (the current owner is very interested in the history of the house). Best, Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,  I'd love to see the old pics of the area around the house. If you are around this way again perhaps we could meet up. We are just over the road from Clapham Lodge.

All the best

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from trip - saw 'Ivan' on the display at Thiepval but had to get back to coach. At Menin Gate for Remembrance Ceremony and thought Ypres fitting place to buy a copy of your book for friends. Sold out at the great book shop there and the owner remarked that being a photographer he'd kept a copy for himself. 

Really enjoyed looking at Ivan's photographs. Knew the book would be excellent. Content & presentation outstanding. A treasure trove with many terrific references - just a couple....

Prologue - with Ivan's diary from June 1917

page 85 - one example how photographs are blended together 

page 194 - school trip photograph 1991

page 239 - Menin Gate (we were standing looking at the view towards the Cloth Hall, having walked through with the Poppy Parade)

page 262 - the original note from Fabian Ware

page 270 - family photograph perfect

Not only recommend the book but well worth attending any talks Jeremy might give in the future - thrilled to have seen the camera Ivan used.

A must for anyone visiting CWGC Cemeteries and wanting to learn about the work of the Graves Registration Unit. Our recent trip was really special as we visited my great-uncle's grave for the first time with Ian & Jeannie Alexander, the War Research Society, 

Barbara G.

Edited by BarbaraG

On 11/5/2017 at 16:10, Paddy 60th said:

Hi Jeremy,  I'd love to see the old pics of the area around the house. If you are around this way again perhaps we could meet up. We are just over the road from Clapham Lodge.

All the best

Roger

Hi Roger, I'd be happy to share some photos with you - I'll see what I can find. I likely will visit CL again in the near future. Also looks like I'll be giving a talk in Sutton in the new year. Best, Jeremy 

Hi Barbara, thanks for you kind words and strong endorsement about my book - great to hear that you enjoyed it so much - and that it's sold out by the Menin Gate! I presume you mean the British Grenadier Bookshop. I told the owner about my book back in April. 

Ivan features on the display at Thiepval? Some of his photos? There's one or two at Lijssenthoek, and some at Bedford House, but don't credit him as the photographer. 

Best, Jeremy 

On 11/21/2017 at 07:45, BarbaraG said:

On display at Thiepval....

Great! Thanks for this. 

On 18/11/2017 at 21:05, JeremyGS said:

Hi Roger, I'd be happy to share some photos with you - I'll see what I can find. I likely will visit CL again in the near future. Also looks like I'll be giving a talk in Sutton in the new year. Best, Jeremy 

That's great Jeremy - keep me posted.

Many thanks

Roger

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, JeremyGS said:

Mentioned in Dispatches Podcast about 'Photographing the Fallen': https://www.acast.com/mentionedindispatches/ep46-photographing-the-fallen-jeremy-gordon-smith

Really interesting Podcast Jeremy. By the way, I've  just bought an early Vest Pocket Kodak similar to Ivan's - amazing little camera !

Kind regards

Roger